Insteon compatible pool timer

bigdog

I am trying to figure out the best way to automate my pool equipment. Like a LOT of people around this area anyway, the pool pump/filter is controlled by an old fashioned Intermatic 240v outdoor mount timer. That is basically all I need. The heater comes on when there is water flow through the filter system, so that is not an issue.

What I need is a outdoor rated 240v Insteon device that could simply replace the Intermatic timer. However, as obvious as this product might seem, there does not seem to be anything available.

Does anyone know of any product that would be suitable?

Thanks,

Brian

bigdog,

Here is my solution for automating my pool:

I installed a 12"X12"X6" weatherproof box next to the electrical subpanel in the pool equipment room.

Then I wired a 240v Dayton 1EJG7 DPDT, 120VAC coil, relay in both the pool pump and pool sweep motors circuits (between the motors and the circuit breakers). I control the relays with Insteon Icon appliance modules. In addition, I added a pressure switch and an IOLinc to sense if and when I lose pool pressure, I can turn off the motors and turn on an error light in the house.

I also have Insteon modules, in the same box, to control the pool light, equipment room light and all the deck lighting.

Hope this is of value.

I have been using the 2477SA1 Dual Band N/O load controller for about a year now and my pool filter have been working perfectly. I disassembled the Intermatic mechanical pool timer and inserted the 2477SA1 inside the box. In addition to the routine daily timed programs I also used a KeypadLinc button in our kitchen to manually turn pump on/off. Just be sure to purchase the N/O version. James

Did the 2477SA1 actually fit into the Intermatic timer box? I thought it would be too large, but maybe I made a mistake measuring the box. If it does, then this is exactly what I would be looking to do. My timer is on a short post directly adjacent to pool equipment. I have been trying to avoid pulling new wiring or having to install a larger WP enclosure for the electrics. It is very inconspicuous now, mounted on a redwood post.

It's funny, just about everyone I have ever known who had a pool had an Intermatic timer. With all the H/A devices out there, you think someone would have thought of a retro-fit for an Intermatic pool timer.

Thanks, I'll remeasure and hopefully this will be easy. If not, well it is good weather for a pool equipment remodel!

Brian

My mechanical pool timer has two terminals for an external clock. I use a $5 240VAC/12A-rated relay from Radio Shack across the terminals (I measured 120VAC at considerable current going across). I had lots of 9v wall power supplies, so I chose that as the coil voltage. I use an Applicance module to turn it off and on. I got a weather-proof box to house it all.

It's nice because it doesn't bypass all the other things controlling the pump, including an air-switch from the spa, and the heater (the pump stays on for 15 minutes after being turned off if the heater was on).

I'm also using a pair of IOLincs to control my Jandy valves, stuck in the same box.

• 3 weeks later...

One solution is an X10 220v switch. I know, I know, why X10 when we all want to go insteon! Well, actually this is my very last X10 device for the same reasons that you said, no other real good insteon solution. The advantage of X10 in This case Is no Nuetral required which you very well may not have, and because it is on

Both legs of your house circuit very reliable. I have been using it with isy for over two years and works without a flaw

• 11 months later...

Archived