Keypad button in a scene

Batman

I have a question to find out if this is normal...

I am using ISY, just bought 20+ devices and having a ball ....

and created a scene to include a switch link dimmer (hallway single light bulb load) and a button B in 6 button keypad. Both controllers.

Correctly, every time I press keypad B - load lights up, and switch link light up

Correctly, every time I turn on the switch link, the load light up and keypad B light up :)

Correctly, when I use the admin console and turn on/off the "scene" all works as expected above

Now, my confusion is this... When I use admin console to turn on the switch link device itself (not the scene)... Or turn the switch on using a program, The load turns on, the switch link turns on BUT keypad B does NOT light up

Is that normal, or am I missing something, I know I can write a program to make keypad B light up and sync it.... But does not look to me that I have to

Thanks in advance

This is normal expected behavior. Devices do not control other devices when controlled directly. Thats what the scene is for.

-Xathros

Thank you Xathros for your response.... that behavior throw me a confusion, since each of them physical devices are able to control the "other device" when accessed physically .... but when i access it thru the program, it did not virtually used its scene (as it does when i access it physically) to do same !!

thanks

are able to control the "other device" when accessed physically

This is because such devices are set up as "controllers" of a scene with those other devices. However, when controlled via a program or admin panel, the behaviour better matches that of a "responder" device.

Perhaps a good hypothetical analogy would be if switch A is controller of a scene including switch B as responder. Switch B is controller of a scene that includes switch C as responder. Pressing switch A will turn on switch B, but switch B, having responded to switch A, will not turn on switch C. Only if one physically presses switch B will it behave as a controller of switch C.

In the same way, if you "remotely" control a switch (via program, control panel, other insteon device), it will behave only as a responder and not propogate commands to other devices of which it is controller.

Archived