Excessive number of links in PLM

lawr1000

I replaced my PLM because the ISY would loose communications with it periodically. This commonly occurred with a power failure but also happened without a power failure. Most of the time a reboot of the ISY fixed the issue. After replacing the PLM the ISY has not lost communications.

Fast forward 6 weeks and my system is unstable. Periodically my thermostats will turn off. Sometimes all the lights will turn on with no apparent trigger that I can find. When the lights turns on sometimes my garage doors opens too.

I decided to check the number of links in the PLM and to my amazement it showed 8063. So I a factory reset/restore of the PLM and I ended up with a more reasonable 253 links. Since I didn't do a factory reset when I replaced the PLM initially I thought I had found my problem so I tried adding a scene that I deleted trying to fix my problem and checked the links again and now the number of links is 4817.

Clearly the number of links is not possible based on the documentation.

The ISY is running 3.2.6 and the PLM is a 2413S hardware V1.6, software v.99.

Any ideas?

Getting a false high or low link count is normal if any Insteon traffic reaches the PLM during the Show PLM processing. The PLM maintains an internal NEXT pointer which keeps track of the next link record to retrieve during the Show PLM Get Next command sequence. The NEXT pointer is altered by inbound Insteon traffic reaching the PLM. This causes duplicate link records to be read (false high count) or records skipped (false low count).

Regarding all the devices responding, that sounds like an All On or All Off could be issued to the 'My Lighting' Scene.

I suspect if I spent more time with the ISY and Insteon I would know/remember these things. Thanks for the info!

It would be nice if the count function would scan the link data for duplicate links and report a true number.

The All Off or All On command might be causing the problem with the lights but the thermostat adapters don't seem to respond to these commands (my testing). Also the thermostats are under program control only (not linked to any other Insteon device other than the PLM).

I'll keep working the issue!

Archived