Number of Repeaters Needed with multiple electric panels

mjohnson007

Sorry about the long post but I am in need of advice... :lol:

I am having an issue with devices not being recognized thru out the house. This is an installation of Insteon devices using ISY994i Pro w/PowerLinc Modem (dual Band) . Here is the issue I have a spreadout house it is approx 3500Sq FT base foot pring with multiple stories on certain sections. The ISY device is located in the main part of the house at one end (and connected to the 60 amp panel I explan this shortly). The house contains 4 electric panels the main service has 200amps on that box I have a SignalLink Phase coupler on the box next to that another 100 amp panel in addition to that when I buitl the addition a used yet another 100 amp panel that is located approx 90+ ft away and last but not least a 60 amp panel up stairs in the old part of the house. In testing all of this I am using 2 LampLinc (dual-Band) one is hooked up and working fine and on the first floor below the PowerLinc Modem (10ft a part) this works well and responds to all comands, I tried to add a second LampLic in the addition (approx 25 ft away) and use the start Linking command from the admin consol and it would not find it, I then tried to add it manually did not work... I brought the module upstairs and tried again to start link and it was found right away... So I wrote a simple turn on at sun set program for it and tested all worked fine. Here is the issue I moved it back to the addition (this by the way is on the other 100 amp sub around 90+ feet away from the main) and tried to see if it would work and it did not here is the funny thing if I maually turned the device on and off, or dim it showed the status fine either thru MobiLinc or on the admin console. So to the point if from the main modem to the first Linc is 10ft from that the second link is no more than 20+ ft why is is not receiving any commands from the ISY device??? Should I add a phase couple to each sub panel or do I need a bunch of plug in Access point (dual Band) I thought the signal was far better on these devices that 25 ft should not be any problem.

Again Thanks in advance to anyone who dare reads this all and coud provide some recomendations.

Mark

The PLM is not at a central location electrically and the hardwired SignaLinc coupler is a passive device (not a repeater). I would try a pair of Access Points at the main power panel first. Or move the PLM to the main power panel circuit so the PLM signal has no chance to degrade before being coupled passively to the other 120v leg.

I have several power panels and only one pair of Access Points. Although I do not have the sq footage you have. The power panel in the garage some 300’ away has no additional coupling nor does the power panel at the other end of the house which supplies power to that end of the house.

Also look at other devices powered from the PLM plug point. Computer equipment, UPS, etc can absorb some of the PLM signal right from the start. A FilterLinc is useful to isolate other devices at the PLM plug point to avoid signal degradation.

I'm sure others will have additional ideas.

Archived