Webcam in Mobilinc

scotcarter

I just got an ISY-9941 ir pro. I am trying to get away from having so many servers running on my PC. The ISY got rid of an X10 server and Mobilinc with the IP Cam module has almost cleared up the use of Webcamxp for me. I have two webcams attached to my PC that I also use in Webcam XP along with 5 wireless IP cams. I am now going straight to the IP cams bypassing Webcam XP but still have it running to supply video from the two webcams attached to the PC. Is there a way to go straight to a webcam? I don't know if they can be assigned a port and then forward it to my PC or not?

One is a Logitech Orb MC or something like that and a Microsoft Lifecam 5000

Hi scotcarter,

If I understand your scenario correctly, probably not. I'm assuming these webcams are USB cameras and not standalone IP Cameras, is that correct?

If they are USB cameras, then you'll need a PC to be on to power and control the camera. The camera likely will not operate on its own communicating on the network without being powered and controlled by the PC via USB.

Wes

You are correct, they are USB connected webcams. This PC stays on 24x7 anyway so thats not an issue.

I wanted to know if there is a way to connect to a webcam without having to have a "server" type software running on the machine. Currently I use Webcam XP to serve out those video feeds but Webcam XP can be a resource hog at times so I am just looking for a way to get around using it. I have to many servers running on that machine and want to stop a few if possible. Mobilinc and the ISY took care of one of them. I was able to get rid of X10 commander.

Archived