Installing Dual-Band Devices in a Multi-Panel Environment

I have a dozen or so X10 devices (X10-only SwitchLincs and older X10 Levitons), but they're unreliable, so I've been thinking of migrating to Insteon. Last year I bought an Insteon OutletLinc - and while it is a little more reliable than the X10 devices, I often find it on (or off) when it's not supposed to be. If I move the PLM onto a different phase, the OutletLinc works for a while, but then it becomes unreliable again.

To add robustness, I bought a few dual-band SwitchLincs (D2477DIV) and I want to make sure I install them on different phases. However, my house has 2 circuit panels. So my questions:

- In a multi-panel environment, did my electrician have to install the 2 phases identically on each panel per the US electrical code? My panels are the same make and model - so, for example, could breaker #1 on panel A be on a different phase than breaker #1 on panel B?

- Should I install the dual-band devices on opposite phases of the same panel? or does it not matter as long as they really are on different phases?

- Do the dual-band devices eliminate the need for a dedicated active coupler? I have an X10 coupler but no Insteon one.

Thanks for any help.

The Dual Band Devices including Access Points do not couple X10 across the phases and no Insteon Devices repeat X10 signals. They will couple the Insteon commands across the phases and receive Insteon RF commands.

Since they also have a power line transmitter in them. They can absorb a small amount of the X10 signals on the power lines.

I have an JV Engineering XTB-IIR X10 coupler Repeater and it plays nice with Insteon. Some brands do not.

whistlepigger-

Both phases exist in both panels. Whether or not breaker #1 is on the same phase on both panels is in question. The dual band devices will couple the phases as long as they are on opposite phases regardless of which panel they are fed from assuming they are close enough to hear each other over RF.

You should do the 4 tap test to make sure both dual band devices can hear each other and are on opposite phases.

-Xathros

Thanks for the replies. I installed the 2 SwitchLinc D2477DIV switches, and I know they are on different phases (because my meter shows 240v when I probe across the breakers of both those circuits).... but I guess I don't understand the display I'm supposed to get from the tap test. Should I start that test from either switch or from the PLM (mine looks to be dual band so I can tap the button). In either case the lights on the SwitchLincs never change... they don't blink or change color.

I don't think these are bridging, because I can only see the OutletLinc from the isy99i when the PLM is on the same phase as the OutletLinc. Would the Event Viewer show me the flow and confirm if the bridging is active? If so, any hints on what to look for?

When the SwitchLinc Set button is tapped 4 times quickly does the SwitchLinc start to beep?

The problem with using wired devices for coupling they cannot be moved around. It is not only a question of being on opposite 120v legs, they have to be in RF range of each other. A pair of Access Points are a better choice for establishing correct coupling as they can be moved from outlet to outlet until the combination of opposite 120V leg and good RF communication is found.

The event viewer does not show path of a message from device to device. It would show if the device answers the command but no indication if that response is the result of correct coupling.

Regarding coupling and which device to start with, 4 tap Set button on one of the Dual Band SwitchLincs. It should start to beep. Look at the LED on the Dual Band PLM. It should show an indication of receiving the RF signal from the SwitchLinc and based on color/blinking pattern be able to determine whether the PLM and SwitchLinc are on different 120v legs. The PLM LED indication varies depending on the level of the PLM. Check the documentation that came with the PLM to see how it reacts to the 4 Set button tap coupling test. End the test by tapping the SwitchLinc Set button once.

Repeat the same sequence using the other SwitchLinc.

Assuming the conclusion is correct that the SwitchLincs are on opposite 120v legs, regardless of being in RF range, the PLM should be able to see one or the other SwitchLincs as one of them is on the same 120v leg as the PLM. If the PLM cannot see at least one of the SwitchLincs there is a powerline issue. Could be problems at the PLM plug point, UPS/PC equipment attenuating the Insteon signals. All equipment at the PLM plug point should be on a FilterLinc as a Best Practice. The PLM can be plugged into an extension cord so the effective PLM plug point is away from the UPS/PC equipment.

EDIT: also insure the PLM is not plugged into a surge/noise suppressing power strip

Archived