Unplugging and replugging devices changes stability

I did actually test it out without the AP - only the devices which were dual-band and were close to the PLM were able to communicate reliably. The one 2476S which was giving me trouble would respond only once every 5 or 6 attempts. The other 2476S would respond but were much less reliable (one failure per every 10 tries or so). Unfortunately I don't have too many places to plug in APs that are close to my panel; each of the locations I chose resulted in rather poor performance overall. Part of the problem is the my rack of computer gear is right next to the panel (less than 5 feet away) so that kind of precludes me from putting it there. That's where the PLM and one of the APs started out initially.

Since I already have a few dual-band devices that are on both legs I've concluded that I really don't need any APs to do actual phase bridging - the only reason I have the AP near the PLM is to "boost" the powerline communication that is coming out of the PLM.

The 2476S that is giving me trouble was purchased May 18th 2012 and is V6.0 1209.

Hello Oatflake,

ELA has made some good points on the issue of noise vs signal level. I had missed the fact that you had installed the AP close to the PLM. I had instead thought that you had installed this near your panel.

In order to settle the issue, would you mind removing the AP entirely? This should cause the PLM to communicate with the other AP and your dual band devices directly via RF.

I do agree with ELA on the that your 2476S units may not be simulcasting well. Could you provide the firmware revision of these units?

Thanks for your patience,

IM

Have you thought about using a filterlinc on the computer rack, to stop possible signal degradation?

If the equipment is on an UPS or filtered surge strip. They also frequently can kill Insteon power line signals.

If the rack uses more than 10 amps the Filterlinc is designed for. There is an ACT AF120 that is rated for 15 amps.

Along with a hard wired 20 amp X10Pro XPF.

Have you thought about using a filterlinc on the computer rack, to stop possible signal degradation?

If the equipment is on an UPS or filtered surge strip. They also frequently can kill Insteon power line signals.

If the rack uses more than 10 amps the Filterlinc is designed for. There is an ACT AF120 that is rated for 15 amps.

Along with a hard wired 20 amp X10Pro XPF.

I have the entire rack filtered behind a Filterlinc - the UPS is plugged into that, and of the gear is plugged into the UPS. It's not a huge amount of power draw - all of the gear pulls less than 180 watts peak according to my Kill-A-Watt when I tested it - the Kill-A-Watt is not plugged in most of the time so it isn't messing with the insteon signals. Without the Filerlinc nothing gets out - with it, most of the signals actually transmit fine; I only have a problem with two of the switches on this one circuit.

I've left the PLM in "wireless-only" mode by leaving it behind the Filterlinc - it appears to be the most stable setup I've got so far. I'm going to buy dual-band switches for the problematic ones and then I can probably relocate my PLM back onto the power line and I suspect everything will be fine.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I always learn more about my setup from this board!

Archived