Filter for flourecent lights

I believe i have a problem with some fluorescent undercabinet lights. They turn on when they should, but they won't shut off. I assume it's noise. There are 4 small lights, each with their own on off switch on the light, all controlled from the switchlinc. The switch hot comes from who knows where, so there is no way to instal a plug in filterlinc. There is no room in the switchbox because of the size of the switchlinc. Has anyone found a filter that can be wired at the electrical box that will work with this type of setup. I can't find any other reason why this would happen.

I opened the console, and tried toggling the light. The first on toggle didn't work, and i got a communication error. i did a query, and the then toggled on again, and the light came on. Tried toggling off to no avail. tried a query, but it won't communicate at all. I gather the off problem is the noise, but the on problem is communication. Would adding another device to the same circuit help communication. I guess a filter is needed for the off problem. All for one light.

I think if found the problem. Not what i suspected. The ups hooked up to the computer is on the same circuit as the lights. I unplugged the ups, and was able to toggle on/off no problem. A filterlinc may work, but i don't know if i can plug it in the bottom of the filter and still plug it into the wall. It's one of those angled ups plugs, I guess i'll order a filter and try.

Brad

The angled plug worked on my FilterLinc but did stick out. I found a short heavy power cord at the home improvement store that I plugged into the FilterLinc and plugged the UPS into the power cord. Was only a few feet long and seemed a better approach than leaving the UPS plug stick out.

The AC Line Input Filters in many UPS units are known to absorb Insteon and X10 Power Line Signals.

I have a FilterLinc on my APC BX1000 UPS and even used the pass through outlet on the FilterLinc for my 2413S PLM.

I figured i can buy or make a short power cord for those odd angled plugs if i need to. I have 2 more ups's in the house, so now that i'm aware of there potential problem, it will be less of a head scratcher.

I had a problem with my four undercounter lights - they would turn on but they could not get proper communication to turn off.

I installed one of these in the outlet box and have absolutely no issues since:

http://www.smarthome.com/4835/Leviton-6287-Noise-Block/p.aspx

Hope this helps ...

I have a three gang box at the undercounter/sink area with two switchlincs and an ordinary non-insteon outlet unit. I was able to fit this filter unit back in there with a little bit of fiddling. The unit is not very big ... Maybe it could be fitted into the light box - useful if they daisychain from one unit?

I ordered a couple of filterlincs, and i can install one where the computer is, so it won't interfere with anything else. I'll keep this in mind for the times i run across where there is lots of room.

Thanks

Brad

Archived