Phantom link

Ok, I realized today that a switchlinc installed here at the house that I thought controlled a few lights is actually linked to a switch that (#$@%$@) is now behind wall unit.

I am going to have my contractor modify the wall unit so there is access to the switches for maintenance however right now I am trying to simply find the Insteon address of the covered switch. The available switch is 100% controlling that load (I replaced it with a different switch, restored the load is not controlled. I put it back in and the load operates). However when I dump the links table there are no unknown devices. I think there must be a link past the double 00.

Is there a way to force the links table to not stop when it finds the terminating 00 bytes and enumerate all of memory. The darn link is in there somewhere! If not, any other ideas on how to tease it out of the memory of the switch I can get to?

Bill

Do you know if they where linked through your ISY Interface or manually?

If you dump the link database for the switch controlling the hidden one. Does that give you any clues?

When you had the hidden one exchanged for the temporary test one. Did you write down the ID on the label of the original one?

Insteon hardware will not search past a 00 flag byte entry so there is no need to look past that entry. The Simplehomenet Utility Suite (free download) can be directed to look at addresses anywhere in the link database if a non-believer. Requires a PLM connected to a PC for interface.

The covered switch has a responder link for the available switch. The covered switch will react to the available switch paddle press even though the available switch does not have a link pointing to the covered switch.

I did not follow the steps taken when I got to the restore. The ISY would not restore to a different switch address so not sure what was actually done.

Archived