too many access points a problem? then comes dual band...

amateur question to follow:

I have read enough posts about insteon communication issues and I have a couple questions:

1) I thought that adding too many access points to a house was a potential problem. I remember people saying (maybe incorrectly) that just adding more access points to a house can sometimes make things work. My understanding is that the Dual Band switchlincs and other products work just like an access point, right? Am I going to muddy up my system (or actually improve it)?

2) I have a switchlinc that has some communication issues and a bad contact requiring a good whack to get it to turn on. I am going to add a keypadlinc to the same panel of switches and could change the bad switch to a dual band dimmer. Is this a good idea or bad? (really, this is kind of the same question as above)

thanks,

Scott

2) How old is the SwitchLinc? There was an early hardware revision with know tact switch problems. The paddle would push it and nothing happened. Smarthome extended the warranty on that batch to seven years.

It is pretty old and I'll probably try to get it covered under that warranty. I've done it before.

With many types of Dual Band devices now available the concept of having too many makes no sense. Physically they are deeper so there can be reasons not to use them but it is not related to too much RF. Installing Dual Band devices side by side in the same box on the same circuit does not seem justified from a cost point of view.

The Dual Band SwitchLinc Relay also has very heavy #12 Load, Line & Ground Wires. It has a heavier maximum current rating needing the #12 wires. I have seen users reporting trouble in getting the wire's into the electrical boxes.

The Dual Band SwitchLinc Relay also has very heavy #12 Load, Line & Ground Wires. It has a heavier maximum current rating needing the #12 wires. I have seen users reporting trouble in getting the wire's into the electrical boxes.

Brian,

Trouble is an understatement with respect to the #12 ground wire. A very simple re-placement of the ground strap some where else would resolve this idiotic problem for all! :evil: For the record, I have informed Smarthome via direct mail, phone call, and consumer feed back for the product. Along with various forums indicating the very same. :mrgreen:

Teken . . .

Archived