ISY994i/PLM Network Connection

austin_john

Hi - I have a new installation of Insteon, including an ISY994i and PLM (2413S) as step one. My router is in a network hub closet with only one outlet and this outlet has a large UPC which controls a number of items. It is clearly stated that either a filter is needed for this second plug on the outlet, or I need to place my PLM and ISY somewhere else.

My question is: Does the ISY need to be plugged directly in the ROUTER, or can it attach to my network elsewhere, more specifically to a network SWITCH located in another part of the house (with less electronic gear).

Thanks!

Connected to the switch should work fine. I have my DSL modem in the basement, then a line running to a wireless router upstairs, then another line running back downstairs to a switch. Off the switch a line runs up the my ISY in the master bedroom under the dresser.

Just to be clear: the connection between the ISY and the PLM is NOT ethernet but rather serial. This has a limited length and CANNOT be connected via a switch/router.

-Xathros

Yes - thanks! This worked fine. In fact, I ended up placing the ISY & PLM upstairs by a infrequently used PC and had to connect the ISY to a D-LINK Wireless access point that is hardwired back to a switch in the media hub closet (which is then wired to the router). Initially I received an error that the PLM could not be found so I rearranged the plugs, rebooted and everything worked fine.

Many PC power supplies can absorb Insteon power line signal or make power line noise.

If the PLM is on the same circuit as the old PC. It can be possible it may effect the PLMs power line signals.

Unless the old PC is on a FilterLinc or a similar type filter.

Archived