Getting hot water to kitchen sink/tankless water heater

jmed999

Hello, I have a tankless/instant natural gas water heater located on the outside of my house close to the master bath. The issue is it takes forever to get hot water to the kitchen sink and other bathrooms.

What solutions are available to this issue? I would like to control it with my ISY to minimize costs.

Thanks!

No good tankless solutions.

You can add a tank located closer to the other stuff and run a recirc pump between the tankless heater and the tank.

You can't do recirc on tankless without adding a separate tank as this results in excess cycling of the heater.

You can add a booster pump to get the water to the other side of the house faster. . . but you can't have the booster pump move too many gpm's or it will exceed the tankless capacity to heat the water. Basically the booster pump is near the point of use and it pumps water from the hot line to the cold line until it gets hot.

For example, if there is 5 gallons of water in the pipes and your sink draws 2.5gpm. .. then it is 2 minutes to get water to the sink. If you add a pump that pumps 5gpm plus the sink at 2.5 gpm you drop the time down to about 45 seconds. But realize you are drawing 7.5gpm which may result in less than fully hot water.

A system to turn the booster pump on at the right time is where the fun comes in. ISY can control that . . . but most people just have a button to turn it on. Once the hot water gets to the point of use the booster shuts off and doesn't turn on again until someone pushes the button. You can get fancy with other ways of turning the pump on using ISY.

Not to thread-jack....but I have a similar problem as well.

I've got a tankless heater at my home, and it takes a while for hot water to reach the kitchen sink. This is the furthest hot/cold location from the water heater. I wanted to see what people here thought of this unit. It was recommended to me, and I was told that it would work well with tankless systems.

http://www.bayshorehome.com/product_inf ... ts_id=1118

Not to thread-jack....but I have a similar problem as well.

I've got a tankless heater at my home, and it takes a while for hot water to reach the kitchen sink. This is the furthest hot/cold location from the water heater. I wanted to see what people here thought of this unit. It was recommended to me, and I was told that it would work well with tankless systems.

http://www.bayshorehome.com/product_inf ... ts_id=1118

I don't recommend this. It forces your tankless heater to cycle all the time. Every few minutes the pipe cools down and this thing turns on. Notice it says "be sure this doesn't void your warranty" because it usually does .. . for good reason.

Although, you can add a small holding tank under the sink and recirc to the holding tank. The holding tank takes a lot longer to cool off so you don't get the constant cycling.

I was looking at a few products made for the tankless hot water delivery solution. I haven't done anything yet but you could use a motion sensor and program to run these recirculating machines as well as a keypadlinc for an on-demand system.

http://www.chilipepperapp.com/

http://www.gothotwater.com/

These are what I was talking about.

They only turn on when they are actually going to be used. They don't necessarily give you "instant" hot water, but they do greatly speed up the process. Especially if used with a motion detector so that they flip on prior to you actually turning the sink on.

This is just another hot water heater instead of your current tankless.

No this is a point of use instant water heater. I think I could put it under my sink so there is no little under sink tank to keep warm. Would this work?

Yes, it is another hot water heater. It is a smaller electric version of what you already have hanging on the outside of your house.

It will work. . provided you have a 240v 60 amp circuit available under your sink.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Chillipepper pump and it works well, but is loud. I have it setup using an insteon light switch and a I/O linc. The light switch is connected to the shower fan and linked to I/O linc. When the light turns on the pump starts until hot water reaches the faucet then turns off. I have been using it like this for over a year now without problems.

Archived