Triggerlinc question? Driveway alarm?

RichTJ99

So after living with this for a few days I think a few tweaks are in order.

1. If I drive home, lights go on for 20 minutes, my wife chats with the baby sitter for 15, I walk the sitter out, the lights go out when I am outside. Is there some way to stop the 20 minute countdown?

Is there a way that if the Scene: Outside gets turned off, the countdown stops? So I could turn off the lights, then turn them back on with no auto shutdown?

2. Can I add something that if Scene: Outside is already on the 20 minute countdown gets ignored?

If Outside is on, then do nothing at program 2?

If program is running, but outside is turned off, then program should be disabled?

Insteon has no concept of Scene Status so the discussion has to center around how the Outside Scene will be controlled, not whether Scene is On or Off

1. If I drive home, lights go on for 20 minutes, my wife chats with the baby sitter for 15, I walk the sitter out, the lights go out when I am outside. Is there some way to stop the 20 minute countdown?

Yes. Stop Program 2 on whatever condition you chose. KPL button press, SwitchLinc paddle press, RemoteLinc(2) button press, as examples.

Is there a way that if the Scene: Outside gets turned off, the countdown stops? So I could turn off the lights, then turn them back on with no auto shutdown?

Yes, stop Program 2. No need to turn the Scene Off and back On.

2. Can I add something that if Scene: Outside is already on the 20 minute countdown gets ignored?

Yes, stop Program 2 on whatever condition you chose. KPL button press, SwitchLinc paddle press, RemoteLinc(2) button press, as examples.

If Outside is on, then do nothing at program 2?

Again, there is no concept of Scene status. What turned On the outside Scene? That KPL button press, SwitchLinc paddle press, RemoteLinc(2) button press, whatever is used is added to the If Condition of Program 1 such that Program 2 is not called to Run

If program is running, but outside is turned off, then program should be disabled?

Stop Program 2

If I drive home, lights go on for 20 minutes, my wife chats with the baby sitter for 15, I walk the sitter out, the lights go out when I am outside. Is there some way to stop the 20 minute countdown?

Yes. Programatically, this can be done. The question becomes how you want to trigger this program halt? Is the light controlled by a switch? Perhaps using an "on" command initiated by this switch?

Can I add something that if Scene: Outside is already on the 20 minute countdown gets ignored?

Yes, but like LeeG states, there is no such thing as scene status. More likely you would use light status as the condition to evaluate on whether to ignore a countdown.

But I suggest thinking about this a little longer. Assume that the light was already on as a result of a recent driveway trigger and you get a second driveway trigger? You say you want to "ignore" the existing countdown because the light was already on. Does this mean halt the countdown? reset the countdown? Continue the existing countdown? Do you want different program reaction if driveway is triggered, but the light was already on for reasons other than a recent driveway trigger, such as a manual control?

The series of programs necessary to differentiate a light on for one cause versus another may get pretty complicated. It is important to accurately define what you want here in order to avoid wasting time and effort rewriting programs that don't do what one wants. It is better (in my mind) to spend time understanding your needs rather than spend time writing programs in whch you end up disappointed.

This may, or may not be important. The only practical reason that I could see this matters is if you turn it off with 10 minutes (for example) remaining, then turn it back on less than 10 minutes later, the light may turn off once the timer completes. However, if you set this up in such a way that a manual light "on" halts the program, none of this matters.

Programmatically, in english, I think you asked for:

if

driveway is triggered

and light is not already on

and light is not turned on during the countdown

then

turn light on

wait twenty minutes

turn light off

else

halt the countdown wait period

I cannot help but suspect you will be disappointed with this.

Here is an updated example of using a KeypadLinc button to manually control the outside Scene and affect the results of the TriggerLinc On.

TriggerLinc1

If
       Status  'TriggerLinc1-Opened' is On
   And Status  'KPL Floor Dimmer 6 / KPL Floor Dimmer 6 - A' is Off

Then
       Run Program 'TriggerLinc2' (If)

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

TriggerLinc2

If
  - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
       Set 'ICON Relay 1' On
       Wait  10 minutes 
       Set 'ICON Relay 1' Off

Else

TriggerLinc3

If
       Status  'KPL Floor Dimmer 6 / KPL Floor Dimmer 6 - A' is On

Then
       Stop program 'TriggerLinc2'
       Set Scene 'SceneOutsideLights’ On

Else
       Set Scene 'SceneOutsideLights’ Off

• 3 months later...

One other question I have- since the scene I am using to turn on has a bunch of lights, I would like the on & off to repeat themselves.

How can I do that (I always get confused where the wait or repeat should be)? Should this turn outside on, repeat the on command. Wait 25 minutes then send the off & repeat the off?

Should i have a 10 second wait before it repeats?

If
  - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
       Set Scene 'Outside' On
       Repeat 1 times
          Wait  25 minutes 
          Set Scene 'Outside' Off
          Repeat 1 times
Else

Repeat goes before the statement(s) to repeat. All the statements to the next Repeat or the end of the clause are repeated.

Repeat 1 times

Set Scene 'Outside' On

Repeat 0 times

Wait 25 minutes

Repeat 1 times

Set Scene 'Outside' Off

It would be just as easy to code

Set Scene 'Outside' On

Wait 1 second

Set Scene 'Outside' On

Wait 25 minutes

Set Scene 'Outside' Off

Wait 1 second

Set Scene 'Outside' Off

There is approx 1 second wait for each Repeat iteration. I added a Wait above on the theory that if there is noise from an appliance starting up it will be of short duration

Archived