IOLink Sensor / Trigger Reverse

ngeren

Screwed by smarthomes magnetic sensor switcharoo, I'm trying to get my IOLink (Garage opener) to show the correct status when the door is open. Currently the sensor is showing "on" when the door is closed, and "off" when the door is open. I've read somewhere that I could use the "Trigger Reverse" option, however the changes don't appear to save when I try this, as it returns back to the defaults each time. My system information is below. Any help is much appreciated!

ISY 994i / Firmware 3.2.6

The I/O Linc option is fixed in 3.3.2. Trigger Reverse will reverse the commands issued by the I/O Linc Sensor. When the Sensor turns On it will send an Off command and vice versa. The problem is the 3AM Query returns the true state of the I/O Linc Sensor, not the reversed commands generated by Trigger Reverse. This means the I/O Linc Sensor will change to On Status at 3AM assuming the garage door is closed.

Could the 3AM scan look at the scenes/configurations and NOT "flip the bit" if it's reversed?

Sounds like the best approach would be to change out the sensor; I've gone ahead and ordered a new open/closed contact from Smarthome (http://www.smarthome.com/7455B/Garage-D ... -3-/p.aspx) -- it's ridiculous that their kit didn't include this model to begin with. I would have paid extra to not have to go through this hassle.

I think using the new switch is a good idea. They also carry a NO magnetic switch but it is not a wide gap switch like the one you ordered.

The 3AM Program is called QueryAll. It could invoke a new Scene that has whatever devices you actually want to Query at 3AM. However, it defeats the purpose to Query only selected devices.

• 1 month later...

I too have the same problem with the "Current State" set to on when the door is closed. I did the "Trigger Reverse" and it did work up until 3am when it ran the "Query All" and it would trigger my program into thinking the doors were open. Ngeren. Did the new sensor help the problem? If it did let me know I and I will purchase it also.

Thanks in advance.

Using the opposite magnetic switch or the switch with both NO and NC does solve the problem. With the correct magnetic switch the Sensor will be Off when the door is closed. Once the new sensor is installed turn Off Trigger Reverse.

Thanks. But I already mounted my sensor above the garage door and do not want to have to run sensor and mount it into the concrete. I found this one Amazon and i think it will do the trick and all i would have to do is swap out the sensors i have now. Please let me know if the item below will work. It has 3 connections to it.

Megatronix - MGT - Magnetic Reed Switch, Normally Open (N/O) And Normally Closed (N/C) - Ideal For Doors, Windows, Garages, Gates, Truck Beds, Etc

http://www.amazon.com/Megatronix-Magnetic-Normally-Windows-Garages/dp/B0010F0086/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1353822455&sr=8-2&keywords=normally+open+magnetic+switch

The Smarthome magnetic switch with both NO and NC can be mounted above the door just like you have now.

Or swap for a NO switch. The advantage of the Smarthome variant that has both NO and NC is it is a Wide Gap switch with a large magnet. Many of the single type switches are not Wide Gap.

The Amazon switch should work but it is not labeled Wide Gap. That will make the spacing between the magnet and the reed switch more sensitive.

The magnetic switch with both NO and NC can be mounted above the door just like you have now.

Or swap for a NO switch. The advantage of the variant that has both NO and NC is it is a Wide Gap switch with a large magnet. Many of the single type switches are not Wide Gap.

So are you saying that the one above will work? :)

If the door is not too loose and the magnet and reed switch are located close together it should work. I was referring to the dual switch with the shielded cable sold by Smarthome as being Wide Gap. It is spec'ed as being Wide Gap. The one from Amazon does not say it is a Wide Gap switch.

If the door is not too loose and the magnet and reed switch are located close together it should work. I was referring to the dual switch with the shielded cable sold by Smarthome as being Wide Gap. It is spec'ed as being Wide Gap. The one from Amazon does not say it is a Wide Gap switch.

I see. I just dont want to go through the hassle of mounting that into the concrete :)

It is a water proof switch and comes in a housing that can be attached to the floor. However, that does not mean it has to be mounted on the floor. Mount it on the door header if that is the preferred location. Mine is mounted on the header.

I used standard security magnetic switches in the beginning. Worked fine initially but as the weather changed I found the door/track relationship would sometimes result in the switch not working. The dual NO/NC magnetic switch Smarthome originally included with the garage door kit (now available separately) comes with a very large magnet allowing the switch to work over a wide range of positions (Wide Gap switch).

• 1 year later...

I've had the Insteon IOLink setup on my garage door for 2 years now without a problem and the moment I switch to the ISY I start seeing this issue. 

I had it all setup correctly. The door was closed and it shows the status as OFF. At 3AM it suddenly changed to ON even though the door was closed. All my programs linked to the garage being opened ran at 3am. I can't figure out how to get the status back to OFF. 

Can somebody explain why this is happening and why it hasn't been fixed since the OP reported this in 2012. 

Thanks

Unfortunately Trigger Reverse applies only to the commands the I/O Linc Sensor node sends,.  That is, the Sensor sends an On when the Sensor turns Off and Off when the Sensor turns On.   Trigger Reverse does NOT change the Query response.  Query reports the actual state of the Sensor.  At 3AM when the ISY does a Query the Sensor node changes state because the Query response is the true state of the Sensor.

The best solution is to change the magnetic switch to a NO so Trigger Reverse is not needed. 

I purchased a N/O switch, but when querying the garage it shows the garage as open instead of closed

I also purchased a switch that is both N/O and N/C and when I use the N/C contacts the correct status is displayed. When I use the N/O screwes on the magnetic sensor the status displays is opposite.

I thought it needed to be N/O?

Depends on the switch being sold in electronic terms or security system terms.

In electronic component terms the state at rest with no magnet.

In security system terms the state when next to the magnet and the zone is not violated.

So in electronic component terms. A NC switch is a security zone NO switch. Because it is open when the magnet is next to it and the zone viloates when the switch closed to it normal resting state NC with no magnet is next to it.

This can be very confusing. As some vendors use electroninc component terms and some if it is for a NC or NO Security Zone use.

In my electronics line of work. I have to always think. Is the vendor a electronic component sales site or a security sales site.

If the combined NO and NC switch is the Seco-Larm-3 use the Black and Red wires.   Remember to turn Off Trigger Reverse option.  The switch connected to the Red and Black wires is open when the magnet is next to the switch.

MustangChris04

The contact should be CLOSED and the green status LED on the I/OLinc should be ON when the garage door is open, the LED should be off when the door is closed. If that's the case then you're properly wired.

Make sure that you don't have trigger reverse enabled on the I/OLinc

Archived