Insteon I/O Link Garage Door Kit vs. Elk Sensor and Output

homejones

Hi, could I program a button on my KPL to activate the garage door via the Elk and also display status? Specifically, the light on the KPL would light up if the door was open. Additionally, pressing the button would either open or close the garage door.

I know this could be done with the Smarthome I/O Linc Garage Door kit that they sell, but wondering if this is even necessary if you have already hooked an output of the Elk into the garage door opener contacts and setup a garage door sensor.

Thank you!

Yes.

Assumptions:

1) you have a door contact on your overhead door that is connected to an Elk zone

2) you have your Elk connected to the garage door opener via an output that can trigger the opener.

EDIT: 3) You have the Elk module

This can be done via programs in ISY that aren't too complicated.

If

Elk zone "garage" is not normal

Then

Set KPL button off

If

Elk zone "garage" is normal

Then

Set kpl button on

If

KPL button is switched on

or if kpl button is switched off

Then

Set Elk output garage on for 2 seconds

Hi, could I program a button on my KPL to activate the garage door via the Elk and also display status? Specifically, the light on the KPL would light up if the door was open.
I want to do this exact same thing. But first, I have got to get my M1 setup correctly.

For years, I've used an I/O link on my garage door contacts to "light-up" a KPL button in my house when the doors were open. I also start getting email/text messages if the door is left open for 40 minutes or more and motion is not detected. Early this year I installed my M1. At that time ran some new wires over to my garage door contact switches. The wires were not connected to the switches but were patched to my M1 & set at "Normally Open". Just today, I finally got around to taking down my I/O link and connected the wires to the door contacts.

All connections look good as my ELK keypad shows the Garage doors violated (with doors closed) and "Ready" when they're open. I now need to change the M1 settings to "EOL Supervised/RF". I cannot arm my system until this is addressed. However, I can't seem to log onto the ELKRP to change the settings.

I had a lot of trouble linking up the M1XEP when I initially set the system up early this year. But I don't recall how I eventually resolved this issue. It doesn't appear my network settings have changed nor has my ISY had communication issues with the M1. Anyone have any suggestions? I would assume I can make these changes from my keypad but I'd prefer making the changes from the RP.

Do you have your IP address and port set correctly on your Elk rp homescreen?
Yes. The IP address and port are displayed in the setup/find window and match that on my homescreen.

I think I logged into the system a month or so ago and it worked fine then. Nothing has changed so I don't know why I get a "Failed to connect to server" message now when I try to log into the system.

Edit FYI: Thanks to a viewer at Cocoontech.com, it was suggested I unplug my XEP for 10 MINUTES (at least). I can't recall ever having to do this, but it WORKED!. Once the unit repowered, the software connected, updated the needed zones and my system is back up and armed. The M1 also came up on my ISY Console. All seems normal.

Now I need to work on the KPL button program suggestion above.

I'm now about half way through converting my ISY programs from the I/O link to ELK control of my garage doors. I've set up my garage doors in the ELK as Exit 2 and changed the arming time for that exit to 150 seconds.

I get the leave sequence working OK. But here are 3 issues I have:

• If I arm the ELK, then leave the garage, I don't have 150 secs. I only have a 60 second timer and that is not enough time.
    And if I add a delay before arming the ELK, the garage door could be open at the time the ELK is armed (it won't happen).
    Also, if the door is opened then closed before the ELK is armed, the armed status is STAY instead of AWAY.

Is there a way to temporarily bypass the garage doors at the time I arm the system to allow the ELK to arm? OR can the arm time countdown be lenghtened for the garage doors?

I'm now about half way through converting my ISY programs from the I/O link to ELK control of my garage doors. I've set up my garage doors in the ELK as Exit 2 and changed the arming time for that exit to 150 seconds.

I get the leave sequence working OK. But here are 3 issues I have:

• If I arm the ELK, then leave the garage, I don't have 150 secs. I only have a 60 second timer and that is not enough time.
    And if I add a delay before arming the ELK, the garage door could be open at the time the ELK is armed (it won't happen).
    Also, if the door is opened then closed before the ELK is armed, the armed status is STAY instead of AWAY.

Is there a way to temporarily bypass the garage doors at the time I arm the system to allow the ELK to arm? OR can the arm time countdown be lenghtened for the garage doors?

Use "force arm" for the garage door. This allows the system to arm with the door open. At that point the door will be by-passed. It will stay bypassed until it becomes secure. At that point the door is un bypassed. So basically it gives you an unlimited exit time on the garage door that instantly ends when the door closes.

Use "force arm" for the garage door.
Thanks for pointing out that feature. That did the trick. I spent half a day trying to program around the problem with little luck. Plus, the system would only arm in the STAY mode. Checking the force arm box for my overhead garage doors worked and it armed AWAY.

Now to work out the disarm routines when I come home & open the doors. If this works the same way as my front door, I only have 30 seconds to get the car parked & then charge into the house with the disarm code. Do you have any suggestions on how to handle the return?

Archived