Loses connection when light turns on?

I'm new to the automation club and I have an odd problem.

Whenever I turn on my Insteon dimmer switch, the ISY loses the connection, thus continuing to read the word "off" even though the light is on. When I refresh the unit while the light is on, it gives me a failure to communicate message. When I manually turn it off, it is again pickled up by the ISY. This switch has been interchanged with other Insteon switches with the same result. The lights it controls is the two front door lights and the garage exterior lights. This plug is also the furthest away from my central controller in my master closet.

When communication is lost when the load is turned it that usually indicates an issue with the load. Noisy CFLs, low voltage transformer, etc.

Disconnect the Red load wire and see if the switch can be turned On and Off with correct status received by the ISY.

• 1 month later...

mrmilt

That is the problem when a post starts off with 'I have the same problem'. Clearly you don't have the same problem as the original poster device works when the Red load wire is disconnected. Until the clarification that your device does not work after disconnecting the Red wire my suggestion would have been to replace the existing lights.

When the Red wire is disconnected what is the symptom? Device comm errors, device does not respond to commands but does not show any errors? Device responds with comm. errors? etc

Let us know what the symptom is so suggestions aimed at that symptom can be suggested.

Sorry for hijacking this topic...

Let me start from the top, I installed this 2477s dual band switch a week and a half ago and programmed it to turn on by time of day.

it has been working up until today. The switch did not turn on by the program and when i check on the administrative console i got a message cannot communicate with 1E.3D.96 please check connection.

so that is the problem i have, thanks for the help

mrmilt

Okay, thanks. Run Tools | Diagnostics | Event Viewer with Level 3 selected. If there is a Red ! to the left of the SwitchLinc node in the My Lighting tree right click the node and select Query. That my produce another error or remove the Red !. If another error occurs post the event trace. If the Red ! goes away cycle the SwitchLinc On and Off through the Admin Console until the error message is received. If the On Off operations work now then there is some form of time dependent interference or perhaps the phase coupling does not exist or is not working.

Archived