isy and Insteon LED light bulbs 300 feet away

abelaguilar

Hello:

I recently ordered by isy99 and need to know how to send a signal to our front gate 300ft away to control insteon led lightbulbs. I have a cat 5 down there and I am using the smarthome smartlinc which I believe is not compatible with isy99.

I think I need a PLM, but don't know if that distance is a problem.

any suggestions?

thanks again..!!

I have no problem controlling lights, monitoring and controlling bay doors in a detached garage that is 300+ wire feet from main house. There is no absolute answer to your question. Too many variables to say for sure either way. Sounds like the SmartLinc is installed at or near the gate connected your LAN with catx cable. That leaves open several questions. Are there Access Points installed for phase coupling. What else is powered from the circuit the PLM will be plugged into? If UPS and other electronic equipment on the same circuit are they isolated with a FilterLinc. That are just a few of the more obvious unknowns.

Bottom line, set up the ISY with PLM and test.

I use KeypadLinc buttons to control lighting and bay door movement. The ISY/PLM was used to link the KeypadLinc with the various Insteon devices in the garage for lighting and door control. I could use the ISY/PLM but at this point find the KeypadLinc all I need. Of course the ISY Admin Console does show lighting and door status

abelaguilar-

The connection between the ISY and PLM is serial, not ethernet, even though is uses an ethernet cable to connect. That distance should not exceed 30 - 50'. As Lee said, some of us have long powerline runs that work for Insteon signals. The PLM should be in the house near the MAINS panel and if you don't have any access points or dual band devices to couple the phases, make sure the PLM is on the same phase as your gate lights circuit.

Maybe down the road, you could re-purpose that cat5 run for a gate mag sensor and use with an IOlinc back at the house.

-Xathros

Archived