"Safe Mode" on initial setup . . .

GordonGale

I'm attempting the initial setup of a new ISY994i. The browser opens, I sign in, and a popup displays that I'm in Safe Mode which, it says, usually results from a defective PLM. The PLM is a brand new Smarthome 2413S, but it did not provide power to the 994i, as it's supposed to. I was previously using a 2414S with a Cortexa controller so tried plugging the 994i into it. I now have power, but it still opens in Safe Mode. I've double checked the connections - can't hardly do it wrong though. What can you advise?

Remove the 2414S immediately. Not sure about the pinout of the old 2414 PLC and it uses a completely different command set from the 2412S/2413S PLM. Only the now discontinued 2412S PLM provided 12v DC power from the PLM. The 2413S Dual Band PLM does not provide power to connected devices. The ISY requires an external power supply when using a 2413S which is normally included with the ISY 994..

Safe mode usually means the ISY cannot communicate with the PLM. Check the RJ45 connectors are fully seated on both ends (click heard) and the PLM is connected to Port A. Click Tools | Diagnostics | PLM Info/Status. What does it say?

Pinout is the same for the signals being used. Except pin 2 raw 12 volts on the 2414S and 2412S but not the 2413S. In fact some of my original 2412S PLMs have a 2414S Serial Daughter Card in them. RTC, Backup Battery and real big mostly not used memory also.

As Lee pointed out. Completely different command set protocol and serial specifications.

The 2414S did provide you power but the communications was still not there. So you got safe mode.

Thanks for your responses. I've disconnected the 2414S, reconnected the 2413S and plugged in the included power supply. (Why does the Universal Devices Quick Start Guide specifically state that "If your PLM is model number 2413S, you do not need a power supply"?) I disconnected the Ethernet cable at both ends and FIRMLY reinstalled it. Success! I no longer get the Safe Mode message.

So, now I'm ready to move to linking. When I click on Start Linking I get a Linking in Progress window, but it stays visible for no more than 3 seconds and then disappears - and I'm unable to perform any linking.

Can you give me more helpful advice? Thanks in advance.

SO SORRY! Found disconnected cable after this post - all seems to work well now. Thanks again.

I don't see any error.

My ISY994i Series Quick Setup Guide.

Paragraph 1 ISY Installation

2. "Connect the second included Cat5e cable to ISY's Port A and the other end to the PLM.

NOTE: If your PLM is model number 2413S, you do need a power supply (not included)"

GordonGale; Do you have any anitvirus or firewall programs running?

If you do can you tell us what they are including their version?

Saw your update on the cable disconnected.

So my question on software may not be a factor. Though some programs do cause issues with the ISY Administrative Console.

Apparently I'm just having a bad day all around. After some challenges to what I said were in the instructions, I reread it more carefully and sure enough, I was wrong. It says you DO need a power supply with a 2413S. Okay, that issue is resolved.

However, I still continue to open in Safe Mode. I have unplugged both Ethernet cables and firmly replugged them in at least 3 different times; I even tried different Ethernet cables. I've power cycled the modem, router and then ISY several times, and I've rebooted my laptop several times. Other than that one time, I've come up in Safe Mode every time. If it helps, after a reboot of the controller, I get a steady blue light on Power and RX.

BTW, the one time I was able to get in correctly, I was able to link 3 light switches, but then it immediately said it couldn't communicate with them - even though 2 minutes before it had discovered them.

Just for what it is worth, I also got this error message when I went into the UI a few days ago. It was right after I had unplugged the 2413S modem and plugged it into anohter wall outlet. After the error and restarting the UI, the issue went away and never came back. So in my case, the safe mode issue was likely due to me unplugging the modem from the wall temporarily and plugging it back in.

After reading the question about whether the PLM was powered BEFORE rebooting the ISY, I disconnected the Ethernet cable between the PLM and the ISY, unplugged the PLM and disconnected power to the ISY. I then plugged in the PLM, reconnected the cable to the ISY and then powered up the ISY. Now only the Power light is on the ISY - but it still opens in Safe Mode.

When I click on Tools-> Diagnostics-> PLM Info/Status nothing happens.

I'm at a total loss on where to go from here. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Now that the PLM is allowed to power up so it is in a position to communicate before starting the ISY the PWR LED is the only LED On. The Rx LED is no longer On?

Is Kaspersky or Avast being used? I would have expected Tools | Diagnostics | Show PLM Info/Status to display something.

Avast would not resolve safe mode but I thought it might be blocking the data needed to display the PLM Info/Status.

Now that the Rx light is Off there is some communication with the PLM but apparently not enough.

I suggest opening a ticket with UDI so they can determine why safe mode even though we have gotten the PLM powered up and the Rx LED now Off.

I've found some other interesting and unexplained things. The 2413S PLM LED shows green when plugged into the wall - sometimes. I have also had it not even come on some of the times,and come on red other times. So I tried it in several other outlets where I could observe it more closely. At this specific moment it's green and I had observed that it was green during my last full cycle of testing. Could it simply be a bad PLM?

Use the link below. Just about all posts by Michel have the last line of the post as this link for opening a ticket.

http://sales.universal-devices.com/contact-support

I have some concern using the old 2414 PLC at the beginning of this process may have done some damage although with the Rx LED Off now that would indicate the ISY has some communication with the PLM. Just not sure why the safe mode with the Rx LED Off.

Archived