Communications Issues, Insteon vs Z-Wave

Issacsim

Hello,

I am trying to plan a new system for a new house we are moving into.

My choices will be either an Insteon with ISY944i pro or Z-Wave with a Vera 3.

From all the reading I have done on this and the MCV forums, it looks like Insteon, although more attractive with product selection, has many more communication issues. A nightmare I am trying to avoid. Not looking for a repeat X-10 experience.

So the main question is for users with Insteon communication issues, are you using older single band Insteon products, or the newer dual bands?

Anyone with experience using both technologies, or the newer Insteon dual bands, please share your experience...

I am currently using a mix of older and newer devices. At one point, I had only powerline devices (plus two access points). I can tell you that my current operation is pretty darn reliable. I can also tell you that it was not always this way. I went through some difficulties as my system evolved, and I currently maintain about a half-dozen filtered devices. I also ran an isolated circuit just for my ISY-99 controller.

Like many, I started with X-10. In fact, I continue to use a limited number of X-10 devices. I have found my X-10 reliability to continue to degrade over the years. This is, possibly, due to the increased numbers of insteon or other electronic gadgets. I conclude that insteon, while not perfect, is much better than X-10.

Over the years, my system has grown to include greater numbers of devices, as well as dual-band devices. I have always had access points, and expect that I will continue to have them for the forseeable future. After much pain with communication problems early and many hours spent troubleshooting, I was able to achieve a pretty reliable system. Unfortunately, I cannot say how much the dual-band devices have helped, other than that I no longer worry about reliability. Whether this is due to added numbers of devices, dual-band, or my early troubleshooting effort and filters?...probably a little bit of all of that. My experience suggests that the smarthome marketing hype regarding impoved reliability with greater numbers of devices is true, however.

Obviously, I am happy with insteon overall (or else I would not have just placed another order for even more devices). I just wish I could guarantee that you won't experience initial difficulties.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be too late to affect your selection, but I have both z-wave and Insteon. I added the z-wave with Vera 2, now Vera 3 for the door lock capabilities.

I've had much better success with the Insteon operation than the z-Wave. I understand that the communications for z-wave lock systems are even more restrictive than standard z-wave. If there were Insteon door-lock systems available that matched the functionality of the zWave I would give the z-Wave up.

I'll also say the ISY has been a lot less problematic, mine runs reliably for long times between updates (there are sometimes a few adjustments after major version updates) The Veras have shown to be a bit temperamental for my uses.

Setting up your house wiring from the get-go seems like a great opportunity to have a highly reliable Insteon network. Good luck with whatever you choose.

-Nate

Thanks smithnc,

I was leaning towered the ISY to use with Insteon lighting and future Z-wave for locks.

Once I started looking into alarms and other networking products, I realized the Vera might be a better choice.

We will be using Honeywell alarm which integrates nicely into the Vera with a free plugin. Swimming Pool control and Nest thermostat both have plugins in beta.

There are also numerous plugins already available for TV's and receivers I already own, will be nice to easily integrate into a "Good Night" scene to make sure everything gets turned off.

The Vera also has the ability to be bridged, which is a very useful feature due to the size of the house (currently 5k sqft, will be expending to 8k).

I am still actively reading on both forums until January when I get the house.

Hi Issacsim,

See here my post regarding my experience with Z-Wave reliability in general. I have not used the Vera so I can't comment on the Vera specifically.

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?p=70276#p70276

Based on my past experience, and especially if you are going to have such a big house I would definitely reccomend Insteon over Zwave.

Good luck.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Archived