GUI Virtual Multi-way Question

HokiePerogi

I have a few virtual multi-way implementations installed. I have cross linked the switches in Admin Console by making a scene and having all switches in the multi-way be controllers.

My question is, how come when I use the GUI to turn off a non-load switch (via "Off" or "Fast Off" buttons) in a multi-way, the load does not turn off? The status link on my ToggleLinc turns on to show the switch has been turned off, but the load remains on.

Is this a bug?

I have a few virtual multi-way implementations installed. I have cross linked the switches in Admin Console by making a scene and having all switches in the multi-way be controllers.

My question is, how come when I use the GUI to turn off a non-load switch (via "Off" or "Fast Off" buttons) in a multi-way, the load does not turn off? The status link on my ToggleLinc turns on to show the switch has been turned off, but the load remains on.

Is this a bug?

Hello HP:

I am assuming that I understand your question, so please pardon me if I have it wrong.

To turn off the "load" switch device in the n-way through the GUI, you either have to:

1) actually click "OFF" in the GUI for that load switch.

2) or cllick "OFF" in the main ISY scene for that "group" (not the non-load switch devices in the group)

When you create an n-way with the ISY, it links the devices to each other as Controllers. Thus each device can control the other from their respective physical buttons, not from their respective ISY pages. The ISY does, however, have links to all devices simultaneously (as an Insteon "Group") from the "main" ISY Scene page.

So you would find the scene (group) page that all of those device belong to. You would not need to "expand" the group, but only click on it to select it. Then click on the group "off" button. Everything will then turn "off", including the load and non-load devices.

Hope that this helps.

Ah, okay yardman. I wasn't sure if what I was experiencing was intended or not.

To me, it seems once multiple switches are crossed link, using the Off button in the GUI for a non-load switch (out-side of the scene grouping) means the same thing as me getting up and physically toggling the switch.

Thanks for your help!

To me, it seems once multiple switches are crossed link, using the Off button in the GUI for a non-load switch (out-side of the scene grouping) means the same thing as me getting up and physically toggling the switch.

Thanks for your help!

I think you might find that would be problematic since there are times in the GUI that you might need to operate a switch independently regardless of its scene associations. Remember the GUI is an admin environment so it needs to be able to do stuff that you might not do in day-to-day physical operation of the switches.

Good point upstatemike.

Another question then. If I have the program below, how come when I use the GUI to toggle the 'Rec Room Theater Front', the program does not fire? I would like to be able to test this program without having to get up and physically touch the switch. Using the GUI to toggle this switch should be the same thing as doing it at the switch, no?

If

Status 'Rec Room Stairs Top' is Off

And (

Control 'Rec Room Theater Front' is switched Off

Or Control 'Rec Room Theater Front' is switched Fast Off

Or Control 'Rec Room Theater Front' is switched Fade Down

)

Then

Set Scene 'Rec Room Stairs 3-way' Fade Up

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Thanks for your help!

Another way to look at it: the ISY has links to every device that you add to its network, and also to all groups of devices. But it does cnot directly control links between devices.

Yes, you use it to create the links between the devices. And you use it to modify those links when changing levels, rates, etc. But the actual control of those links resides with the devices themselves. It really has more to do with how the Insteon protocol works than anything else.

Best wishes,

Good point upstatemike.

Another question then. If I have the program below, how come when I use the GUI to toggle the 'Rec Room Theater Front', the program does not fire? I would like to be able to test this program without having to get up and physically touch the switch. Using the GUI to toggle this switch should be the same thing as doing it at the switch, no?

If

Status 'Rec Room Stairs Top' is Off

And (

Control 'Rec Room Theater Front' is switched Off

Or Control 'Rec Room Theater Front' is switched Fast Off

Or Control 'Rec Room Theater Front' is switched Fade Down

)

Then

Set Scene 'Rec Room Stairs 3-way' Fade Up

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

If you check the Status of 'Rec Room Theater Front' then the program should work. You are checking the Control.

Rand

If you check the Status of 'Rec Room Theater Front' then the program should work. You are checking the Control.

Rand

Hmmm.....but doesn't this change the logic of the program? I only want the 'Rec Room Stairs 3-way' to wade up when someone uses the ToggleLinc to turn off 'Rec Room Theater Front' (or when I'm testing the program from the GUI). The change that you are suggesting makes it sounds like the program will trigger constantly throughout the day/night even without someone interacting with the ToggleLinc if it's in an OFF state.

My guess is I would need to remove the 'off' condition to prevent it from firing without interact.

Rand

Ok...updating the conditions to Status checks will not appear to work. I realize that it is checking a specific state of the light (i.e. 2%, On, Off, 50%). This is not what I need to check.

The requirements of the program are:

1. When it's dark outside (separate post explaining issues with schedule in if)

2. And a user turns off the Rec Room Theater Lights

3. And the Rec Room Hall Lights are not on

4. The Rec Room Hall Lights should raise to their on levels

Yes. You could insert the Status check for experimenting with your program and remove it for implementation.

Rand

Ahhh....okay...that is what I will do then for my testing purposes. Much thanks Rand!

Now I just need to figure out my issues with the scheduling.

Archived