Tasker

Physpher

Actually didn't think about it when I put that up. However going through Mobilinc adds many, many seconds of delay compared to the rest interface. It's an issue with my phone dropping the radios fairly often, but Verizon said it's not a replaceable issue.

I may try dropping curl just on the sd card and point to that to use the plain rest interface.

Currently the delay is 5 seconds from request to execution manually doing it with Mobilinc. My ping time is 123 milliseconds.

Compared to the rest interface, that's like 5x as long. Often I pull out my phone in the driveway, hit open garage door in the mobilinc, put my bag in the truck, walk to the garage door, key in the code to the keypad and have the garage door open, BEFORE mobilinc executes the same command.

Maybe the next samsung won't have the radio issue, or I will root the phone and see what happens with some other ROM on there.

Alan-

For what it's worth, I have the same problem with iOS on my iPhone. I have tracked the problem down to DHCP. I pull into the driveway and my phone sees my WiFi and starts to connect. Once it starts to connect but before it has received an IP address from my DHCP server, all network requests favor the WiFi over 4G. Mobilinc does not get to send the request until my phone has received an IP which can take up to 15 seconds sometimes. Once the connection if fully established, the request is sent and the door opens. If I pull into the driveway and park, bring up a browser and wait for a page to load, then ask Mobilinc to open the door, it is almost instant. If I have the WiFi turned off forcing it to use 4G, there is about a 2 second delay before the door responds.

-Xathros

I've noticed better response with 4g most of the time as well. I wonder if I gave my phone a fixed IP on my wifi network if I might solve the issue of when it connects and drops and connects and drops, having a fixed ip would hopefully get rid of that problem for that network.

A second access point arrives on Wednesday, which will allow me to get a better signal in a few more places around the property. I think one more after that and I should be good to go. My house has aluminum siding, and the shop steel, they don't let signals travel far for wifi!

Alan

Archived