RemoteLinc 2 Failed to Communicate when adding to scene

I was able to bind my remotelinc to my system and I have linked my fan to it. When I was trying to add it to scenes I get failed to communicate so I bought an extra access point and plugged it in a few feet away from where it is being used. I already had a thermostat close buy so didn't know why it wasn't working properly. Today I removed it from the device and relinked it with no problems but again when I went to add it to a scene it failed again. Frustrating, anyone know how I could resolve this or determine why it isn't working. I used it for a month by manually assigning buttons with no problem and that was even before I added new access point.

so every time I make a change to a scene I need to put the remotelinc into linking mode?

weird thing is I just keep making my scenes and I wanted them and ignored the error and when to the remotelinc and tried it and everything I had done worked on it?

Depends on what the Scene change is whether the RemoteLinc needs a physical update. If a change is needed to the RemoteLinc link database, (new or modified link records) in the other devices will often look like things are working. However, the half/broke link may not be as reliable as it should be. Make the changes without putting the RemoteLinc into linking mode. If there is a Red ! or a Green Icon to the left of the RemoteLinc nodes then put the RemoteLinc into linking mode, right click the Primary RemoteLinc node. select Write Updates to Device. The ISY has queued any required updates which will be written when Write Updates is selected.

that did it, the next time i made some changes it threw error and so i put it in link mode and told to update and it wrote changes. is this in a manual somewhere that I'm missing? I searched web all day for remotelinc and what I found was all outdated.

All battery operated RF devices sleep to save battery life. When asleep, which is most of the time, they cannot react to commands as the RF portion of the device has been turned Off. If a change is needed to an RF device either put it into linking mode just before making changes or wait until the ISY fails to communicate with the device because it is asleep and queues the changes. Only one RF device can be put into linking mode at a time, otherwise they cancel each other out of linking mode. So if a Scene change affects more than one RF device it is necessary to let the updates fail and then do a Write Updates to Device one RF device at a time.

I think the Smarthome documentation does describe the fact that battery RF devices sleep.

Not sure if this is the right place to post...new to Insteon - and this forum (hello!).

Basically I have an ISY-99 (3.2.6) and I have a pretty basic system set up in my house. About 12 dimmers - all dual-band - and DEFINITELY on both legs of my AC. I just got a RemoteLinc 2 and added it to my ISY. It worked fine. However, as soon as I try and make any kind of change, I get a message that says:

Cannot Communicate with RemoteLinc 2-A (1C 45 32 1). Please check connections.

I'm very close to several dual-band dimmers. The ISY still recognizes the RemoteLinc buttons. i.e. if I hit on or off, that is reflected in the Java controller. But there are question marks next to the RemoteLinc in the Java control panel (if that makes sense). Occasionally there is that little 1's and 0's icon. I tried "Write to Device" and I get the same error.

Any idea what is going on? And/or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

I've been rereading this thread a few times. Maybe I can answer my own question - though I'm sure I'll use the wrong terms.

I'm getting a feeling that my RemoteLinc doesn't stay on for very long. Like seconds. So when the ISY is writing to it, if it's not a REALLY FAST write, the RemoteLinc shuts off and I get that communication error.

So far, so good?

So by putting it in Linking mode during that write process (something that occurs often when mucking around with the settings), I prevent the RemoteLinc from shutting off during the write?

Is that about...write? :)

Archived