Pool Pump Control Solutions

Slates

All,

I am looking for some assistance in adding pool pump control to my ISY/Insteon setup. This will be for a water feature pump, not the main pump nor pool cleaner (that is for another day possibly!). Here is my current configuration and desired control aspects:

Config:

1) Bank of 2 switches (1 for pool lights, 1 for water feature) installed in waterproof enclosure near pool. The water feature switch is a double pole. This location is in a wet area (no shelter from rain).

2) Pool Breaker box is on the opposite side of the home, well away from the switches.

Desired Control:

1) Would like the ability to control the water feature from inside the house through a keypad (already installed).

2) Would also like local control at the switch housing.

Solution 1:

1) Install a 220V / 240V 30 AMP INSTEON Load Controller Normally Open Relay (Dual-Band) at the switch location, probably have to locate above the switch housing.

Issues I see: If this unit is not outdoor rated, would I have to install it inside a weatherproof enclosure? This likely wouldn't look great next to the pool. I have also read about numerous issues people seem to have with a high failure rate of the unit.

Solution 2:

1) Install a ELK-9200 Heavy Duty Relay Contactor at the breaker box area (also outdoors though, so some protection needed, any ideas on best solutions?).

2) Connect HD contactor to appliancelinc, somehow (I do have an outlet at the breaker panel I could utilize for this).

Issues: How could I get local control? Could I somehow utilize the pool light circuit in the switch box for a dummy togglelinc (controls no actual load) to just act as a controller for the appliancelinc? I don't think installing the HD at the switch box is a great solution due to weather and WAF (nor would local control be all that intuitive).

The ISY will obviously be utilized to build and maintain a schedule for the water feature, among other things.

I would be interested to hear opinions from anyone on the above solutions... am I on the right track? Any other ideas for good WAF?

Thanks!

Slates

Slates,

You could use HD contactors to switch the loads and use the new INSTEON Micro On/Off Modules (Item #2443-222) to energize the contactors. The new micro module can be switched on and off using a momentary switch that could easily be installed locally. The switches can be weather resistant and easily mounted to a box.

I'm not sure if the ISY supports these yet, but just another option for you to think about. Similar to your Solution #2, but gives you local control with the momentary switches.

Good luck!

-The Wizard

Of course any properly rated relay can be used. The Elk relays are good, but it might be less expensive to get a generic one.

Please be comfortable with the fact that Insteon sometimes misses comm signals. If you have your pump on a schedule to shut down, and the comm is missed, your pump will keep running. If this fact might cause damage or other troubles, you should not use Insteon. A hardwired connection to an Elk output would be more reliable, but does bring added work. Also you need to consider that the LV wire would be going outside where a lightening potential may have more influence and cause damage to the Elk.

HD and the like sell sealed J-boxes for outdoor use which should work quite nicely for you are doing even with non-weather rated items. Nothing should go in a box like this that can get hot, but relays and Insteon stuff should be fine. Also consider how best to keep your LV and HV wires separate.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived