Insteon Motion sensors just stop reporting?

arw01

I'm using a occupancy program to handle the basement lights, works great most of the time, but I have noticed that there can be long periods (days even), but normally some hours, that one or 2 of the sensors just are not seen on the network any more.

if I come along press the set button one time, then they may work for a few days again and then stop (like to day at 5:46) they blink but nothing in a level 2 or three log.

Are these 2420M sensors just too flake to use? It's a pain for the lights to turn off 20 minutes earlier than they are supposed to.

My motion sensors are stable. The only time I have problems is when a battery gets too low.

When more than one device stops working it could be an RF problem. Are the MS's using the same dual band device? Any wireless baby monitors, other wireless devices in the 900 MHz range?

Nothing on 900 I can think of. The phones are up in the 2.4 or the 5 range.

I have three access points within 20' and no more than 1 wall from both the motion sensors. One sensor keeps pretty steady, but goes away enough to notice.

A second motion sensor is maybe 7 feet from my most flaky sensor. I just received a third motion sensor brand new from Smarthome yesterday. No problem linking it, but I could wave and wave infront of it, watch the red light and it would not show up on the logs. Press the button and lots of log entries.

I've moved it upstairs now, will check it after everyone heads off to school and such to see what's the report frequency.

The Red LED flashing indicates motion sensed but may not have a direct relation to Insteon Motion On message being sent. It sounds like the new Motion Sensor may not be setup for Sense Mode and On Only mode so the MS is waiting for the timeout interval to expire.

The Set button press sends Insteon messages regardless of the options.

I only have one Motion Sensor and I had problems with it recently -

My battery was low so I changed it out - started having all kinds of issues with it not working properly.

I removed it from my devices and then had problems even adding it back in - finally got it to add back in but could not auto detect the type and I had to move it right near an access point to do that.

Put it back in it's original position and it was quite 'flakey' - sometimes it would trigger my program and sometimes not.

I do not know if it was a coincidence but when I upgraded from 3.3.8 to 3.3.9 the motion sensor started to work just fine ... weird!?

Dwight

Sometimes I think these just get flaky. I had one out of box which would send a sense on signal but never an off and had to send it back. Other than that, I have had good performance. They do add to the PLM in a rather interesting manner and there could be corruption in the PLM's tables. Removing and adding them back is a real pain I know but it is something to try. Also, I would check for sources of RFI. One sensor going flaky is one thing but multiple sensors is suspect. You may even have an appliance which is inducing noise onto the power line and blocking the signal.

Just thinking out loud.

Yeah it's flakey, not dropping off for hours or days this week, but it's amazing you can teleport into the medi room without using the stairs around 11 this morning!

Motion_Stairs-Sensor Status 0% Wed 2013/01/16 07:18:35 AM System Log

Motion_Media-Sensor Status 0% Wed 2013/01/16 07:23:25 AM System Log

Motion_Media-Sensor Status 100% Wed 2013/01/16 11:13:59 AM System Log

Motion_Media-Sensor Status 0% Wed 2013/01/16 11:26:31 AM System Log

Motion_Stairs-Sensor Status 100% Wed 2013/01/16 04:54:50 PM System Log

Motion_Media-Sensor Status 100% Wed 2013/01/16 04:54:53 PM System Log

Motion_Stairs-Sensor Status 0% Wed 2013/01/16 05:00:20 PM System Log

Motion_Media-Sensor Status 0% Wed 2013/01/16 05:05:17 PM System Log

I'm using a occupancy program to handle the basement lights, works great most of the time, but I have noticed that there can be long periods (days even), but normally some hours, that one or 2 of the sensors just are not seen on the network any more.

if I come along press the set button one time, then they may work for a few days again and then stop (like to day at 5:46) they blink but nothing in a level 2 or three log.

Are these 2420M sensors just too flake to use? It's a pain for the lights to turn off 20 minutes earlier than they are supposed to.

I have 8 or so 2420M sensors and some of them do this for me. I notice that they seem to have a dead battery as they aren't telling my ISY that there is motion, but as soon as I press the set button, they resume normal function. I have beeen meaning to ask about this on the forum.

Any ideas as to how to prevent this?

Archived