What is a reliable thermostat for use with ISY and MobiLinc?

Subject speaks for itself, looking for a replacement thermostat that works well with the ISY99i and MobiLinc software for (in my case) the iPhone.

The Smarthome Insteon version looks quite interesting but have seen so many reports in the forum about problems, have those been ironed out?

http://www.smarthome.com/2441TH/INSTEON ... tat/p.aspx

One comment frrom a user at the Smarthome website is concerning: "Works as advertised. Was able to calibrate the temperature and humidity readings as needed. Works fine with ISY-99i. Developers for Android platform at Mobilinc are "working on it." It currently shows up in the device list, but that's it."

On the Mobilinc website, the T1800 is singled out which is the very thermostat I have currently that requires a dongle, but the unit on their website says it is integrated so no dongle required. Can't find this on the Smarthome website or Amazon or even the Venstar site.

http://mobilincstore.com/thermostats/ve ... ted-1.html

Might go with that.

Mitch

I've gone thru 2 T1800's which Venstar was kind enough to exchange for me. The humidity module is extra and you need to buy an Insteon RF AP of you don't already have one. And the Insteon adapter (not pictured on the ML store site link you provided) has gone through firmware bugs and updates the past couple of years which is not field upgradable. You have to plead with SmartHome to swap out the adapter which you more than likely will get someone else's used adapter that has been upgraded. I could tell because of the many firmware stickers and the sun discolored plastic of the adapter. If and when you can get the adapter to connect they your Insteon RF AP the ML app is awesome app for the T1800.

I think the T1800 requires a C wire and the last version of the firmware I had still requires you to manually change the time during DST change over.

There is a newer Venstar with Inateon integrated which does not require a dongle, but I thought it was a different model. Given all the firmware problems I would want to know of the firmware is field upgradable.

When you take all this into consideration just drop some coin on a Nest thermostat like I did last year. Although the Nest doesn't integrate with the ISY because its not a public API, I can control the Nest as well as my whole home automation using voice commands from my phone. Search forms for my posts.

In short buy a Nest and you will not regret it.

The Nest is extremely interesting, but unfortunately I use my ISY-controlled thermostat to adjust the temperature for the cabin from 50 degrees to 70 degrees in the winter from 6 hours away. My primary residence has a Bryant thermostat controlling two zones so I assume the Nest doesn't handle that.

Anyone have experience with the Insteon-integrated T1800? Any other choices worth looking into? How about the SmarthomeINSTEON one?

Mitch

I've been thinking of Thermostats a LOT the last couple of weeks. Just finished filling the radiant loops on the floor:

20130119_shop_radiant_filling.jpg

Like you, I want a 100% reliable thermostat talking to my ISY. The Filtrete seems to work with the network module if you can get reliable wi-fi to the device.

My shop is a bit far from the house, and with both being aluminum or steel sided buildings, neither is particularily easy for wi-fi to travel.

I suppose I could add a second router out in the shop, but that's another device to fail, and more electricity to pay for.

Michael mentioned a Honeywell Z-wave. Reviews, except for a a battery backup issue that perhaps will get fixed. Seems to loose the date and time under power failure. This prevents, when the power returns, the thermostat to call for heat of cold until the date and time are reset!

The Nest is extremely interesting, but unfortunately I use my ISY-controlled thermostat to adjust the temperature for the cabin from 50 degrees to 70 degrees in the winter from 6 hours away. My primary residence has a Bryant thermostat controlling two zones so I assume the Nest doesn't handle that.

Mitch

The new Nest added support for more systems. You can control the Nest from anywhere in the world.

I too want ISY to control the thermostat. It allows me to have a program to lower the set point during heating season when the front door (near the stat) is open for a period of time based on outside temperature. Prevents blasting heat all over the house just because the front hallway is a little cold. It also allows for one-button solutions. ISY can change the stat to different settings when I press "away", "sleep", or "vacation" button. I also have ISY turn the furnace fan on high when needed to balance the temp (always warmer upstairs when the sun is out because of south facing windows and weak ducting). Finally my furnace is on a UPS, as is ISY, router, etc. When power goes out ISY turns the heat set point down to extend the life of the batteries.

The problem I have now is that my RCS TR40 (wired) stat stopped communicating (with homeseer) a few weeks ago so I'm now looking at alternatives. If the nest had open APIs it would be my choice. Right now am not loving the other options but keep monitoring this forum for new alternatives.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I got a couple of emails back from Thermostat folks lately.

Venstar's 5800 series is supposed to get Insteon communicatons later this year according to the email I got, and the firmware is user upgradeable in the field. Now the question will be if the dongle or whatever they use will be upgradeable as well!

Also Ecobee said their API was in private beta now, I asked who would be a contact to perhaps get Michael in touch with them.

Honeywell has not responded to questions about the battery backup issue with time and date that is evident in many reviews. Does anyone know of a straight IP via cat 8 thermostat?

Currently I am running my circulation pump with the ISY at 30 minutes every 6 hours approximately. I've lost about 6 degrees of ambient heat in one day, but the slab only about 3 degrees. I will experiment with temperature of the water going through the floor and then the length of time increased 10 minutes or so a cycle.

Alan

Archived