Programming 3-way and 4-way switches into ISY

mfranzel

Hello,

I have one set of 4-way switches (3 switches) and one set of 3-way switches (2 switches). They are all Dual-band Switchlincs. I am a bit confused on how to add them to the ISY. Do I add all three (or two) switches or do I only add one?

On the 4-way and 3-way, I "grouped" them together so when I turn the switch on the top of the stairs shows the same "status" as the switch at the bottom. What I am confused about is adding them to the ISY. Do I add all 3 and 2 switches to the ISY or only one in the group?

Thanks!

On the 4-way and 3-way, I "grouped" them together so when I turn the switch on the top of the stairs shows the same "status" as the switch at the bottom. What I am confused about is adding them to the ISY.

One of the guiding general-purpose principles involving ISY is that you should use the ISY to manage your "scenes". If you have linked these switches prior to adding them to the ISY, I suggest factory resetting them. While it is not absolutely necessary to reset them, I believe this to be good practice in all cases. Best to start with a known clean device.

Do I add all 3 and 2 switches to the ISY or only one in the group?

Once factory reset, add ALL individual devices to the ISY. Once added, create two scenes, calling it whatever you want, representing the four-way and three-way circuit. Add the three devices to the four-way scene, defining each as a "controller". Add two devices to the three-way scene, defining each as a controller. At this point everything should be working great!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in reply. I have been out of town...

Anyways, this worked great! The reason I programmed them into groups right from the keypads themselves is because that is what the directions that came with them said to do... I forgot the part where I have an ISY to do it all for me.

Thanks so much!

Yes, it is not always obvious that the introduction of the ISY renders a good part of the instructions obsolete. Once you figure that out, things are mucheasier.

Don't forget to check out the universal devices wiki. There is also an ISY user manual.

Archived