Motion Sensor 2842 Photocell Response

Flex

I purchased one motion sensor 2842 which works well with no issues. So I purchsed another and have been working with it off and on for a day or so. However, the motion-dusk.dawn does not report back to the ISY. The motion-low Batt and the motion-sensor both work fine. Should I assume the photocell is bad and request replcement or would it be worthwhile to look into this further. Is there anything that can be done besides deleting (unlinking) it and relinking it?

On both the non-working and working sensors the Dusk/Dawn light level set to 128 which I believe is the default.

On both the non-working and working sensors the jumpers are set; Jumpers 1-4 off and Jumper 5 on.

While the working sensor reports Dusk/Dawn to the ISY as being "ON" or "OFF" the non-working sensor reports nothing, the box on the ISY interface shows a blank space rather than an "ON" or "OFF".

I have held the non-working sensor to a two-tube four-foot fluorescent fixture and placed it in its box for well past the 3.5 minute time it takes for the Dusk/Dawn light level to register a status. When I remove the non-working sensor from the box registers motion-sense "ON" and replacing in the box registers motion-sense "OFF" after its timeout period, which is set for two minutes. But the Dusk/Dawn-sense still reports a blank.

The blank means the Motion Sensor has never reported On or Off for the Dusk-Dawn node. Could be a defective Motion Sensor. Could be a PLM link database is full, not having room to store the responder links for Dusk/Dawn and perhaps Low Batt. The ISY primes the Low Batt node with Off as it may be months before the MS would report status for that node.

Could run a Show PLM Links Table followed by a click on Count when the display completes. The maximum in a 2413 PLM is 992 links. The challenge with Show PLM Links Table is any Insteon traffic reaching the PLM while the Show PLM is running will produce a false high or low link count. For the link count to be considered accurate the Show PLM Links Table followed by Count must be run 3-4 times to verify the Count is the same across multiple runs.

Could also put the Motion Sensor into link mode and run a Show Device Links Table followed by a Compare to see if all the link records were written into the Motion Sensor. Actually that is a better thing to do before running a Show PLM Links Table.

I run the Show Device Links Table followed by a Compare as suggested.

I got;

[identical] 0FF8:E2 01 1B.FB.A2 FF 1F 01

[identical] 0FF8:E2 02 1B.FB.A2 FF 1F 02

[identical] 0FF8:E2 03 1B.FB.A2 FF 1F 03

[ignore] 0FF8: 00 00 00.00.00 00 00 00

And it just reported an "OFF"

Put back in its box and waited the 3.5 minutes or so and just reported an "ON"

I don't know what caused it to start working unless the Show Device Links Table followed by a Compare trigged something.

PLM Links first pass counted 148, second pass also counted 148 links.

Thank-you Lee G.

Archived