Release 4.0.2 Beta Is Now Available

Is there a valid claim to a format? If that was the case, MS would have claimed it over anything that could have read their files.

And didn't a judge rule that api's cannot be copyrighted in oracle vs google over java.

So some of the programmers on here I am sure could whip that up!

Weatherbug chose to use RSS instead of a custom API. Therefore they have no claim on the format since RSS uses a standard XML format. The only thing you can't include in a duplicate feed is the phrase "weatherbug" and their images. So basically just strip out everything but the weather data fields and you're good to go.

I can whip up a 100% legal to use template if you'd like.

Ah, gotcha. How about allowing us to set a custom RSS feed then? You could either create a demo feed that we could use as a template or require that we provide a feed in the weatherbug format. I think that would satisfy the needs of the more advanced users without requiring a lot of work on your end.

Agreed.

I currently run a program that scrapes a couple weather sites to get rain data for Canada, which I send as variables to the ISY. Would love to be able to use the proper ISY internals.

That goes for the ISY thermostat functionality as well. Would love to see a way to send my custom thermostat data into the ISY guts instead of sending it all via variables.

Ooh, now that's an idea. The ISY could grab an RSS feed periodically and load variables with the data. For example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>

variable1
value1

temp

humidity

Alternatively, variables could be loaded with data via a rest api. Something like this:

X.X.X.X/rest/set/variable-name/value/

I think that would be an excellent feature to have. I still think it would be a good idea to allow us to set a custom rss feed for the weatherbug module though. I have no clue what the ISY code is like but that should be a fairly simple and quick feature to add. You'd need a function to make sure the required data can be obtained from the feed supplied (test the feed on saving changes after enabling the custom feed, etc) and perhaps a checkbox making the user confirm that they know it's an advanced feature and they know what they're doing. The test function would prevent any bad data from getting into the ISY system and the checkbox would allow you to take a hands-off approach towards support for the feature (just point users to a demo template).

An alternative solution would be to allow us to provide an xml feed in the exact same format used for the /rest/climate feed. The fields provided by our custom xml feed would override the weatherbug data. Any fields not included in our xml feed would be pulled from weatherbug.

Whatever is easiest to implement gets my vote.