Reset ISY-26 - Getting the Device IP Address

matapan

Hi,

I have an ISY-26 device I cannot access via Admin Console. I do not know the device's admin account name or password.

The factory reset procedure described on the wiki describes how to obtain the MAC address of the ISY so that you can telnet in to the device and perform a factory reset. What I haven't been able to figure out is how to obtain the ISY's IP address. My router's connected devices table doesn't appear to list the ISY; the count of connected devices doesn't change when the ISY is connected or disconnected from the LAN.

Does anyone have any suggestions on obtaining the ISY's IP address?

Well, I was able to get the IP address and the MAC address of my ISY using Wireshark and performing a capture off my Macbook's ethernet port with the ISY connected directly to it.

Unfortunately, the MAC address I entered as the username and password did not allow me to access the ISY via Telnet. Keep getting an "authentication failed" error.

Any suggestions on how to proceed further?

Unfortunately, the MAC address I entered as the username and password did not allow me to access the ISY via Telnet. Keep getting an "authentication failed" error.

Any suggestions on how to proceed further?

Make sure you have the PLM disconnected from the ISY. If it's connected, you'll get an authentication error. Make sure you enter the MAC address in lowercase. If you use uppercase, you'll get an authentication error.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have the PLM disconnected while attempting the telnet session.

I've entered the MAC address in the following formats as userid and password:

xxxxxxxxxxxx

xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

No joy so far. Anything else to try?

No joy so far. Anything else to try?

If you have the PLM unplugged, and you're entering the MAC address (in lowercase as xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) in both the userid and password fields, and you're still getting an "authentication error" message, then I'd conclude that you have the wrong MAC address. I use a program called Fing to find devices on my network. It shows their IP address and MAC address even if they have a static IP. Here's a blog post about it http://blogs.computerworld.com/19793/fi ... ur_network. It's free, so you might try using it to determine if you have the correct MAC address.

I was able to access my ISY-26 without resorting to brute force methods. Here's what I did:

1. Plug in the PLM with the PLM connected to the ISY-26.

2. Power up the ISY-26.

3. Once the boot sequence is complete, unplug the PLM from ISY.

4. telnet into the ISY-26.

5. Copy and paste the MAC address returned from the URL: http://your.isy.address/desc for the user name and password.

6. For me, ISY-26 appeared to hang. After a few minutes, I plugged the PLM back in.

7. Open a new terminal session and start a telnet session. Login as admin/admin.

This appeared to have worked for me. YMMV. But it is different enough from the wiki notes to worth mentioning here.

The key seems to be related to starting up ISY-26 with the PLM plugged in, then unplugging the connection to the PLM just prior to the login via telnet using your ISY's MAC address.

Archived