PGE PROVISIONING ISY-994Izs

Walt N

Hi All, just wanted to let everyone know that with Walt's persistence and Vicky's dedication, we figured out the problem and are now successfully communicating with PG&E meters. The problem was that PG&E uses a 24 byte install code (not 32).

Hi Gene, thanks so very much for the vote of confidence!

GuitarBuilder, thanks for the information. We did apply but they want the output of test with SSN Test Harness. SSN Test Harness is over $10K ... above and beyond the exorbitant amount for a test harness, at the moment, it does not make any sense for us to pay $10K just to get a test harness for something that's supposed to be a standard (SEP) and for which ISY is certified. Analogy: if you want to work with Time Warner cable, you have to test your WiFi router with a WiFi Test Harness from Time Warner.

With kind regards,

Michel

We did apply but they want the output of test with SSN Test Harness. SSN Test Harness is over $10K ... above and beyond the exorbitant amount for a test harness, at the moment, it does not make any sense for us to pay $10K just to get a test harness for something that's supposed to be a standard (SEP) and for which ISY is certified.

I think you should reconsider, Michel, and here is why:

The $10K expense, although not small from a cash flow perspective, is peanuts when you view it as a marketing and sales investment. If you go to the PG&E website at the link above, you'll see a list of only 6 approved HAN devices, none of which are as good as the ISY. Since ALL PG&E customers have to visit this page to start the process, it only follows that a good number of them will actually view the list of devices - it's a great advertising exposure for Universal Devices.

Now comes the good part: all small and medium business customers in California (PG&E and SCE) will be on mandatory time varying pricing by the end of 2014. For some this is OK, but for quite a few of them it is a problem that can only be mitigated through smart energy management (as is possible with ISY, not so good with HAN displays that require customer action). The utility will encourage HAN use as part of the mitigation. That is about 1,000,000 (yes, one million) potential customers for you.

But wait, there's more: all residential customers will be put on time varying pricing over the next 2-5 years as well, with the same issues. Your potential market there: close to 10,000,000 (yes, ten million) households.

For PG&E only, you can use half of those numbers for your total available market. Spending $10K to reach about 5.5M customers is not a bad deal in my book!

Hi GuitarBuilder,

Thanks so very much for your input. We have indeed considered all facets. Again, I must emphasize that just because ISY is SEP 1.1 certified, it should automatically work with PG&E and it does (Walt is the case in point). We shall certainly reconsider ...

arw01,

If we were to do anything on kickstarter, it would be for much more interesting and ground-breaking ideas currently baking in Chris' head (our CTO) than to contribute $10K to SSN - a multi-billion dollar company!

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel: I found these web sites for more information about testing products with SDG&E. I am not sure if this would help you or not?

http://www.sdge.com/home-area-network-d ... validation

http://www.smartgrid.gov/recovery_act/n ... art_meters

And am I to understand that testing with the Utilities is dead in the water due to the cost of the proprietary test harness?

Thank you,

Gene

Hi Gene,

Not at all. SDG&E/SCE both use Itron meters and we have two of them in the lab.

We did go through SDG&E HAN Validation 8 months ago, but we failed simply because ISY was not categorized properly. I have spoken with the HAN Validation team again and we are going to resubmit by middle of next month.

With Oncor, they didn't expect us to run tests against a test harness and we should be validated shortly. We are already validated for SCE and should show up on their website shortly.

With kind regards,

Michel

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Michael,

I followed the instructions in the document for register the my ISY 994iZ with PG&E HAN smart meter, with no success. All steps, getting the EUID, and Install Code, having PG&E register them etc, worked, it is the final pairing that was not success. PG&E could never see the ISY and I could never see the meter. (They did a ping test, and could not see the ISY during that test either).

I saw on the forum that the install code length mattered for PG&E.

I did choose a 24 Bytes install code length, but the ISY generated a 28 Characters long code (4 extra characters)??

Also, the PG&E technical person I spoke to confirmed that all other customers she worked with uses a 16 bytes character code.

So now to my question, I noted that I can erase the install code and regenerate a new one, but if I select 16 bytes in the pull down menu on the Dashboard it generates 20 character code, and if choose the 12 byte, it does generate a 16 byte code.

So should I pick 12 byte code, and retry?

Also,

I noticed that the Network status "Network" never reported any state like "scanning", "down" etc.

I only got Time "Mon 2013/12/30... | Unsynchronized" and Meter "All OK"

P.S.

I'm on 4.1.1

Thanks,

/Roger

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to successfully provision my PG&E meter in September, and it's been working OK. But for some reason, it has stopped.

I'm now seeing something similar to what Roger has reported;

- the Network shows as "Established | FA32 | 0013500100CBE43C | 25"

- the Time shows as "Sat 2014/01/11 03:19:25 PM | Unsynchronized"

- Meter shows as "All OK"

Does anyone know how to fix this? Should I try to reprovision the meter by erasing the install code and generating a new one as Roger did?

Thanks,

Frank

Archived