New ISY 994i/IR PRO does not link

phawtrey

I just installed my brand new ISY 994i/IR PRO v 3.3.10 and a PowerLinc Modem type 2413S PLM.

I also installed the Universal Devices Admin Console and was able to Configure the location and time for the ISY.

I want to use the ISY to control Insteon devices.

I plugged two ApplianceLinc modules type 2456S3 to un-switched wall sockets in the house and plugged a lamp into each one.

I tried linking to the ApplianceLinc modules following the installation instructions but the ISY fails to find them.

When I click on "Start Linking" I do not get a "Linking in Progress" pop-up.

When I pull up Tools-Diagnostics- PLM Info/Status I receive an error message "Authentication Failed"

Tools-Diagnostics-System Status indicates an Active System and reports 880 MB free.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Hello phawtrey,

I am so very sorry to hear. I suspect you have a 994i Z series. In short, the problem is that ISY cannot communicate with the PLM the causes of which are:

1. The cable between ISY and PLM is defective. Please try a different cable

2. The PLM is defective ... (majority of cases)

3. ISY is defective ... (

So, I would start with a new cable and then if that does not work, I would order a new PLM.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thank you Michel.

You are correct. I have the Z series.

I solved the problem. :D It turns out that the ISY and PLM have trouble finding one another when they are initially installed. However, if I unplug the PLM for about 10 seconds, then re-plug it - and do the same for the ISY immediately after, the two devices communicate and all is well.

So far the connection has been reliable.

So, it seems that the initialization process has problems. Is that a characteristic of the Z series?

FYI it would be helpful if the error message that pops up when the PLM does not connect (Authentication Failed) was a little more specific.

Good tip, Brian; powering up the PLM before the ISY. I will try that.

Michael, you make a good point regarding the PLM. As the PLM is a single point of failure, I bought a second unit and will test one against the other to see if one links more quickly than the other.

I will also test power failure. :D

Archived