2472D

bmiller

Questions about this device. It only works with the key?

Is it only for lamps? If that is the case it has limited uses.

I have one installed for a lamp. I ordered it with the first group of insteon devices.

I wanted it for the access point feature. Now that I have the rf coupler hooked up

It isn't really needed, but it's still hooked up to a lamp with a cfl bulb and just set to 100%

I didn't understand its limited uses then, and even now I'm not sure if it is really needed.

One other question. The local load sense. Is that the feedback to the iSy and mobilinc indicating the lamp is on? I noticed with the outlet active, if I turn the lamp switch off and on, the feedback to mobilinc indicates the light turning on/off.

Thanks

Brad

The OutletLinc Dimmer is rated for incandescent loads only. Even at 100% On Level Insteon Dimmers chop part of the AC Sine Wave which can damage devices not meant to be dimmed (as is the case with many CFLs).

Yes, the OutletLinc Dimmer only works with the magnetic key. It is against code for a Dimmer to control an outlet without some type of safety feature that prevents plugging something like a vacuum cleaner into an Outlet that is partially dimmed. Could damage the appliance, the OutletLinc, or both.

Load sensing is used to monitor the plugged device. When the plugged device is On the OutletLinc will turn On. When the plugged device is Off the OutletLinc will turn Off. The OutletLinc will report to the ISY when it turns On/Off with load sense. Not all devices with load sense will report that On/Off information to the ISY. The OutletLinc does report the state change.

The chopping of the Sine wave by Insteon Dimmers is known by technical folks. Not surprising that Sales is unfamiliar with the internal workings. There are even pictures of the Sine wave chopping on the forum.

Note that the OutletLinc Relay has load sense but it DOES NOT report state changes. The OutletLinc Relay is a Responder Only device.

Archived