Intermittent Communication Problem

Hi,

I need some expert opinions on the intermittent communication problem I am encountering. I have to manually turn on and off the switch to somehow resolve the problem.

Here's the log. Is this a "load" issue?

THank you.

post-3905-140474159081_thumb.jpg

I would look for something that is generating interference. The Hops Left=1 is not great but not the worst either. There are four Query commands in a row issued over several seconds that got no response at all. Either the commands did not reach the device or the device did not respond. Need to test other devices on the same circuit. Is phase coupling installed and working? When a device fails to respond at all there are likely other devices that also have problems. By checking devices on the same circuit and other circuits a pattern may develop.

Also basics such as making sure the PLM is in an outlet and not in a power strip. Insure other electronic equipment near the PLM is isolated with a FilterLinc.

I may have spoken too soon. :-(

Other devices in the same area would normally have "Hops Left = 1" or sometime "0" even after moving the PLM and access points. Hitting the wall with these communication issues :(

What's the ideal # of hops to consider it stable? I may have to get filterlincs and additional access points, correct? I have also several dual-band switches, not sure if they are helping.

The best number possible is Hops Left=2 when Max Hops=3. Hops Left=1 is okay when consistent. When Hops Left=x count moves around, such as Hops Left=1 at times and Hops Left=0 at others is not good.

It is not uncommon to see your results. Moving Access Points, PLM around until a troublesome device works often results in others getting worse or unstable.

And if you experimentation suggests that you had some problem-causing devices on another circuit, I think it best to deal with them regardless of whether you can make you system work by moving access points and PLMs around.

Do you have lots of computer stuff, UPS, surge suppressors, etc on one of your circuits? I suggest filtering this kind of equipment as a precautionary measure.

Archived