ISY-99i and the Insteon Smoke Bridge

phawtrey

Teken,

I will double check the coupling/bridging but it was functioning correctly last time I tested it. I did try these tests on two separate outlets (different floors) with the bridge and detector about 6 feet away from each other in both tests. I'll try your suggestions and see what I can make of it.

To me it seems there's no communication going on between the detectors and the bridge. My light never changes on the bridge when I test.

Once you confirm bridging / coupling if that is good. The most likely cause is noise in the home.

As painful as it is the only recourse is to unplug everything in your home and turn off breakers to items you simply can't reach.

If afterwards you see status on the smoke bridge it's time to replace / filter the offending device(s).

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

Will do, thanks Teken!

Until then, can you think of a reason the detector isn't changing the color of the bridge status LED?  By pressing the set button on the bridge, everything performs smoothly.  This is why I keep looking at the connection from the detector to the bridge as being the issue.

The detectors do NOT show "OneLink" on them anywhere and the model # does NOT have -3ST as bernieb states above.

Will do, thanks Teken!

Until then, can you think of a reason the detector isn't changing the color of the bridge status LED? By pressing the set button on the bridge, everything performs smoothly. This is why I keep looking at the connection from the detector to the bridge as being the issue.

The detectors do NOT show "OneLink" on them anywhere and the model # does NOT have -3ST as bernieb states above.

LOL I did not even consider you purchased the wrong units!

Yes all one link units are so marked and all of them work with the smoke bridge.

Well besides the Z-Wave version of one link!

Here are three kinds I have deployed in my home. 120 VAC hard wired, battery smoke, and battery smoke / CO.

eb777bbdb86ff2ac70769cdbb81e4c6e.jpg

edc9293b770ca59417e0b641a0987a82.jpg

0399bc776ce74b5c5e0284eb48985764.jpg

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

But that's the problem, I've purchased the "correct" model number from 3 separate vendors including SmartHome who states "Works with the INSTEON Smoke Bridge".

Here's the link: http://www.smarthome.com/first-alert-sa501cn-3st-onelink-wireless-battery-powered-smoke-alarm.html

All the vendors show the same model # and screenshots with "OneLink" labeled but the actual model number is just SA501CN and no "OneLink" anywhere.

But that's the problem, I've purchased the "correct" model number from 3 separate vendors including SmartHome who states "Works with the INSTEON Smoke Bridge".

Here's the link: http://www.smarthome.com/first-alert-sa501cn-3st-onelink-wireless-battery-powered-smoke-alarm.html

All the vendors show the same model # and screenshots with "OneLink" labeled but the actual model number is just SA501CN and no "OneLink" anywhere.

Just to be clear you're saying the face of the smoke detector has no markings indicating One Link? As you can see all of mine do and they come from various sources from North America.

The SA-501CN is the correct model . . .

Just to be clear you're saying the face of the smoke detector has no markings indicating One Link? As you can see all of mine do and they come from various sources from North America.

The SA-501CN is the correct model . . .

That's correct, on all three purchased under that model number, none have OneLink printed on them physically or in their documentation.  This is the hardwired version as I don't want to worry about batteries.  I have plenty of other battery-operated Insteon devices to keep my eyes on  :-P

That's correct, on all three purchased under that model number, none have OneLink printed on them physically or in their documentation.  This is the hardwired version as I don't want to worry about batteries.  I have plenty of other battery-operated Insteon devices to keep my eyes on  :-P

I was mistaken as you can see the One Link sensors all have the following designations: http://www.firstalertstore.com/store/category/wireless-interconnect-alarms.htm

They also have the markings so what ever they sold you is incorrect.

Buy smokes from Kiddie and use their notification device.

I have one of their CO devices.  The only problem with the device you linked is that it requires Android or iOS.  I just so happen to be one of the crazy 4% that uses a Windows Phone.  As crazy as it is, I'd prefer to keep it that way  :mrgreen:

Thanks for the suggestions though!

I have one of their CO devices. The only problem with the device you linked is that it requires Android or iOS. I just so happen to be one of the crazy 4% that uses a Windows Phone. As crazy as it is, I'd prefer to keep it that way :mrgreen:

Thanks for the suggestions though!

I just ordered one. I am sure the Kiddie unit can be configured to send SMS messages which would be device independent. The app would only be for push notifications or to check manually check status. I'll update once my unit arrives.

I just ordered one. I am sure the Kiddie unit can be configured to send SMS messages which would be device independent. The app would only be for push notifications or to check manually check status. I'll update once my unit arrives.

Oh I didn't realize that!  If they can send SMS then I may go that route.  I'll be keeping an eye out for your update.

"If Status" does not use "switched".

"If Control' uses "switched".

If Status is using the current state of the device "If Status 'xxxxx' is On"

If Control is looking at the command currently being sent by the device "If Control 'xxxxx' is switched On"

when you say "If Control 'Smoke Bridge - Smoke' is switched On

Or Control 'Smoke Bridge - CO' is switched On

mine only says is on. where do i access the switched word or is it necessary?

Sorry very new to this.

It doesn't say "switched on" in the dialog where you add the rule, it only says "on".  Once you add the rule, it will then state "switched on"

This is the hardwired version as I don't want to worry about batteries.

Every hard-wired smoke detector should have a battery backup. Otherwise it would not function if the cause of the fire was wiring.

Received my Kidde RemoteLync today. Took 2 minutes to set up. Works great!

You do need either the iOS or Android app to enroll the device, but it can be set up to send email and/or SMS messages.

Received a response from the support team, unfortunately there is no third party API. I'm sure some enterprising individual could reverse engineer it.

post-887-14392519885251_thumb.jpg

Received my Kidde RemoteLync today. Took 2 minutes to set up. Works great!

You do need either the iOS or Android app to enroll the device, but it can be set up to send email and/or SMS messages.

Received a response from the support team, unfortunately there is no third party API. I'm sure some enterprising individual could reverse engineer it.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1439251987.420946.jpg

To be clear this remote lync bridge connects to the Kidd smoke / CO alarms via RF. This device in turns connects to the network via WiFi. It then connects to a cloud hosted service for sms / email correct?

What happens when there isn't any Internet connectivity in the home? 

To be clear this remote lync bridge connects to the Kidd smoke / CO alarms via RF. This device in turns connects to the network via WiFi. It then connects to a cloud hosted service for sms / email correct?

What happens when there isn't any Internet connectivity in the home?

The Kidde RemoteLync is compatible with most smokes from any manufacturer after 1978. It monitors the audible alert from the smoke or co alarm. It does not use a proprietary RF signal like the First Alert and SmokeBridge.

Yes it connects to your wifi, and uses cloud to send email and SMS messages. Not exactly sure how else you would propose any form of remote notification and control. No different than a Nest Protect, except that I don't have to spend $900 (9x100) to replace all my smokes/co alarms every 10 years as required by FPA/NEC. I can replace them with less expensive units for $90 (9x10).

What I like about the Kidde RemoteLync is:

1. No need to tap into the hardwired interconnect signal

2. Works with any smoke or co manufactured after 1978

3. Does not require a home owner or tenant replace existing smokes/co

The Kidde RemoteLync should not be used for primary detection and alert. If you read the ToU for the device it clearly states that. If you need a prime reliable notification with failover capability then this product clearly is not for you. I was offering the Kidde device as an alternative to the proprietary SafeAlert and SmokeBridge which some seem to have problems finding compatible smokes. Personally I would not use the SmokeBridge or any Insteon product to protect life or property. That is what I have an Elk for which has a commercial smoke detector connected to one zone.

The Kidde RemoteLync is compatible with most smokes from any manufacturer after 1978. It monitors the audible alert from the smoke or co alarm. It does not use a proprietary RF signal like the First Alert and SmokeBridge.

Yes it connects to your wifi, and uses cloud to send email and SMS messages. Not exactly sure how else you would propose any form of remote notification and control. No different than a Nest Protect, except that I don't have to spend $900 (9x100) to replace all my smokes/co alarms every 10 years as required by FPA/NEC. I can replace them with less expensive units for $90 (9x10).

What I like about the Kidde RemoteLync is:

1. No need to tap into the hardwired interconnect signal

2. Works with any smoke or co manufactured after 1978

3. Does not require a home owner or tenant replace existing smokes/co

The Kidde RemoteLync should not be used for primary detection and alert. If you read the ToU for the device it clearly states that. If you need a prime reliable notification with failover capability then this product clearly is not for you. I was offering the Kidde device as an alternative to the proprietary SafeAlert and SmokeBridge which some seem to have problems finding compatible smokes. Personally I would not use the SmokeBridge or any Insteon product to protect life or property. That is what I have an Elk for which has a commercial smoke detector connected to one zone.

Its interesting it uses sound discrimination to detect the smoke / CO alerts. It makes the product very much universal in application and deployment. I am very curious to see how well it discerns other ambient noise factors but have to assume it has been fine tuned to only listen to these specific frequencies.

Then again there are countless alarm systems on the market that have dedicated glass / impact sensors which at the basic level are nothing more than a microphone. Which are easily fooled by key chain rattle, thumping of the window, clapping of a persons hand etc.

Does this device have any sort of battery back up in case of line power loss? 

Archived