Garage Door Control & Status

BriG

Thanks for the ideas. I'll be testing them out this weekend.

Stusviews' and my approaches are slightly different.  Mine, potentially, offers a bit more flexibility regarding how you treat the two time transitions.  Stusviews' seems to be a simpler and more elegant approach if you are happy in the way it naturally handles the midnight hour and sunrise if the door happens to be open.

If this were me, I would probably pick stusviews' approach.

• 1 year later...

I've been using Xathros' Garage Door Opener and Garage Door Status programs (posted earlier in this thread, and copied below), which work great with MobiLinc, but the problem is that when the garage door is opened through some other means (e.g., manually) the program status in MobiLinc continues to show the status as Closed. What would be the easiest way to ensure the status is updated regardless of the method used to open/close the door?

Many thanks in advance!

This is my Open Close program (Run then from Mobilinc)

If
        $i.Dad_GD_Status is 1

Then
        Set 'Garage / Garage Door IOLinks / GD- Dad Garage Door Relay' 100%
        Wait  10 seconds
        Set 'Garage / Garage Door IOLinks / GD- Dad Garage Door Relay' Off

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

This Program Monitors Door Status:
If
        Status  'Garage / Garage Door IOLinks / GD- Dad Garage Door Sensor' is Off

Then
        Set Scene 'Garage / Garage-Dad' Off
        Resource 'Syslog-SECRTY - Dad Garage Door Closed'
        $i.Dad_GD_Status  = 0
        $i.Dad_GD_Status Init To $i.Dad_GD_Status
        Run Program '.Dad-Open-Close' (Else Path)

Else
        Set Scene 'Garage / Garage-Dad' 100%
        Resource 'Syslog-SECRTY - Dad Garage Door Opened'
        $i.Dad_GD_Status  = 1
        $i.Dad_GD_Status Init To $i.Dad_GD_Status

I've been using Xathros' Garage Door Opener and Garage Door Status programs (posted earlier in this thread, and copied below), which work great with MobiLinc, but the problem is that when the garage door is opened through some other means (e.g., manually) the program status in MobiLinc continues to show the status as Closed. What would be the easiest way to ensure the status is updated regardless of the method used to open/close the door?

Many thanks in advance!

The second program quoted should be dealing with the status regardless of how the door is operated.  I have had occasions where ML has taken a longer time than expected to process program statuses and properly display them but usually it will display no status at all until it completes it's processing.  Does you IOLinc sensor status properly update in the Admin console when you open and close your door?  What ISY Firmware are you running?  There have been some status update issues with IOLincs in the 5.X branch.

-Xathros

Hi Xathros, thanks for getting back to me. The Admin console shows the IOLinc sensor status as "On" when the garage door is closed and "Off" when it is open. Is that what it should be?

The firmware version I'm using is 4.5.1.

Well, most of us prefer the opposite but you can work with it either way.  My programs were designed for the opposite.  You would need to change the reed switch to a normally open type if you wanted to change that behavior.  My question though was more to determine if you were properly receiving status updates from the IOLinc and from your reply it appears that you are.  What do you have on the ML dashboard for operating the door?  Program #1 or the IOLinc relay device?  Your Program #2 in the quote above is written for use with a normally open sensor switch which from your description is not what you have.  I assume you have since modified that program to match your sensor states.

-Xathros

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Xathros, sorry to bother you again and please pardon my ignorance, but per my previous message, all I did to get your Program #2 to work with my setup was to change the "Off" in the "If" statement to "On". Is there anything else I need to change? For some reason, when the garage door is opened using the hard-wired switch in my garage the status continues to show as "Closed" in MobiLinc.

Or alternatively, what changes would I need to make to the setup of my I/O Linc to have it work with your programs as they are written?

The sensor I'm using is the one that comes with the Insteon 74551 Garage Door Control & Status Kit (http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-74551-garage-door-control-status-kit.html).

Hi Xathros, sorry to bother you again and please pardon my ignorance, but per my previous message, all I did to get your Program #2 to work with my setup was to change the "Off" in the "If" statement to "On". Is there anything else I need to change? For some reason, when the garage door is opened using the hard-wired switch in my garage the status continues to show as "Closed" in MobiLinc.

Or alternatively, what changes would I need to make to the setup of my I/O Linc to have it work with your programs as they are written?

The sensor I'm using is the one that comes with the Insteon 74551 Garage Door Control & Status Kit (http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-74551-garage-door-control-status-kit.html).

At first glance your idea should work.

Post your programs here so people can look for quirks that are easy to overlook.

You may need to quote his post to get his attention.

Well, most of us prefer the opposite but you can work with it either way.  My programs were designed for the opposite.  You would need to change the reed switch to a normally open type if you wanted to change that behavior.  My question though was more to determine if you were properly receiving status updates from the IOLinc and from your reply it appears that you are.  What do you have on the ML dashboard for operating the door?  Program #1 or the IOLinc relay device?  Your Program #2 in the quote above is written for use with a normally open sensor switch which from your description is not what you have.  I assume you have since modified that program to match your sensor states.

-Xathros

OK, so here is exactly what I've got for each of the two programs. I have Program #1 on the MobiLinc dashboard, which when tapped runs the "Then" portion of the program. If I exclusively use MobiLinc to open/close the garage door everything works fine, but if the garage door is opened using the manual switch (on the wall of my garage) the status continues to show as "Closed" in MobiLinc. (Note that if the garage door is manually closed, the MobiLinc status does update correctly.)

Again, the sensor I'm using is the one that comes with the Insteon 74551 Garage Door Control & Status Kit.

I'm totally stumped, so many thanks again for any advice or insight you're able to offer!

Program #1: 'Open/Close Garage Door'

If
        $i.GarageDoor_Status is 1
Then
        Set 'Garage / Garage Door Relay' On
        Wait  10 seconds
        Set 'Garage / Garage Door Relay' Off
Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Program #2: 'Monitor Garage Door Status'

If
        Status  'Garage / Garage Door Sensor' is On

Then
        $i.GarageDoor_Status  = 0
        $i.GarageDoor_Status Init To $i.GarageDoor_Status
        Run Program 'Open/Close Garage Door' (Else Path)

Else
        $i.GarageDoor_Status  = 1
        $i.GarageDoor_Status Init To $i.GarageDoor_Status

Archived