ISY -Scene

Autonow

A newbie to insteon and the ISY. I created a scene, selected a motion detector and a light and dragged them to the scene. The motion detector was the controller and the light the responder. Every thing looked good and it started to link and I get the error message can not communicate to the motion detector. Now I get a red "!" on the motion detector.

If I trigger the motion detector the light turns on and off (as expected) but now the "!" changes to a delayed write Icon. If I force a write to the device I get the can not communicate message and back to the red "!"

I tripped the sensor just before I tried the write thinking it may be a sleep mode thing.. no-joy

Am I missing something Here?

It sounds like the Motion Sensor either timed out of manual linking mode which is started by pressing Motion Sensor Set button until the Red LED blinks continuously or the Motion Sensor is not in reliable RF range of a Dual Band device.

Put the Motion Sensor into manual linking mode. The Motion Sensor will stay in manual linking mode for approx 4 minutes so do the next step immediately. Right click Motion Sensor - Motion node, select Write Updates to Device. This will direct the ISY to write any pending updates. If the Motion Sensor goes back to a Red ! move the Motion Sensor closer to a Dual Band device that has communication with the ISY PLM.

Be sure the devices that are acting as phase couplers pass the 4 tap Set button test for phase coupling.

If you have not downloaded the full users manuals for your Insteon Devices.

They are a great help.

Most have links on their sales pages and they are also listed here.

http://www.insteon.com/support.html

Does sound like the motion sensor was in power saving mode. As LeeG pointed out.

With an ISY controller. The manual linking information in the manuals is ignored and always use the ISY controller to do the linking. That way it knows the links and can act accordingly.

Archived