What do I need to get started with home automation?

EdgemanVA

Have never played with home automation, but I used to have an X10 alarm system so I have a very basic understanding how that system communicated. A friend of mine suggested the Insteon system, and it appears to be exactly what I was searching for. I've played with Java and C++, so I understand logic statements enough that I should be able to set up a basic system.

Now for the fun part, what do I need to get started? I would like to start small with a controller and a couple of outlets, then expand into switches, cameras, motion detectors, etc. The only "hard" requirement is that it must have the ability to be remotely controlled from my iPhone, as well as the ability to send text or email alerts (triggered from motion detectors or cameras...and I must be able to remotely see video on my iPhone from the cameras).

What do I need as a controller? I'm guessing a ISY-994i would be sufficient, but do I also need an Insteon Hub (2242-222)? Is it one or the other, or both?

Are there any decent (& current) reference books on installing & using home automation systems?

Thanks!

Now for the fun part, what do I need to get started? I would like to start small with a controller and a couple of outlets

Then you need, to start, a controller and a couple of outlets. While it may not be necessary to start, access points and a filter or two should be on your list of items to get sooner rather than later.

then expand into switches, cameras, motion detectors, etc

Cameras operate completely independent of insteon. Otherwise, add switches and motion detectors as you see fit.

The only "hard" requirement is that it must have the ability to be remotely controlled from my iPhone,

The ISY-994 provides for internet access. You will need to download an app for the iPhone. I use mobilinc, and it works fine.

as well as the ability to send text or email alerts (triggered from motion detectors or cameras...and I must be able to remotely see video on my iPhone from the cameras).

Sending text messages is within the capability of the ISY-994. Triggering a message from a camera is going to take some pretty serious tinkering, if it is even possible. (Perhaps someone has done this, but I don't recall any post on this forum claiming this ability). Triggering from motion detectors is child's play.

Viewing cameras from an iPhone is completely independent from insteon, though I understand the iOS version of the mobilinc app includes the ability to view IP-enabled video cameras. Alternatively any other camera viewing app could be used.

I migrated from X10 to insteon over the last couple of years. I ran the x10 with misterhouse, added houselinc into the mix for a while with insteon, found it too limited and went back to misterhouse with the insteon plm.

I never really got the system I wanted until I went with the ISY994i last fall. THEN it became very reliable, simple to program, simple to set up scenes, etc. Mobilinc lets me control my whole setup from my phones and tablets.

SO I would completely skip the hub, smarthome puts out some buggy stuff for a while, UDI supports their product better and you have a fantastic community here.

Alan

Hello EdgemanVA,

Welcome to our forum.

Let's start by addressing your most important question:

You either need ISY994/PLM OR the Hub. Not both.

The next step is to figure out which one meets your requirements.

With kind regards,

Michel

If I go with the ISY-994, what PLM do I require, 2413? Which interface, serial or USB (is this to communicate with the 994i, or my home computer)? Once I have these items, will I have everything required to get the system up and running?

Thanks!

If I go with the ISY-994, what PLM do I require, 2413? Which interface, serial or USB (is this to communicate with the 994i, or my home computer)? Once I have these items, will I have everything required to get the system up and running?

Thanks!

Serial interface, I believe. You may also need a power supply for the ISY-994 (I forget whether they are included, or a part of a kit. Just make sure you are getting one somehow.

The PLM communicates with the ISY, giving the controller access to powerline and RF for communication purposes. Communication with your computer is directly with the ISY, through a network cable and router (also giving you access to the internet). The PLM is the device that actually transmits the insteon commands over the powerline and airwaves. I believe it also stores the link records for the controller.

Once you have these items, you will have your CONTROLLER up and running. You still need some insteon devices (outlets, switches, plug-in modules, motion sensors) for your controller to control.

Archived