Insteon Smoke Bridge and Ademco Vista 20p

jerlands

I have the Vista 20p w/one monitored smoke detector. I'm thinking about changing out my unmonitored, contractor grade, hard wire detectors to First Alert ONELINK and using the Insteon Smoke Bridge for notifications. I would like however to incorporate the unmonitored alarms into the Vista 20p with a z-wave bridge but don't see a way to accomplish this or even if it's possible. If anyone has any experience or insight I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks,

Jon

Insteon is not rated for such duty. It should not be used as any part of a primary notification system. Nothing wrong with using the Smoke Bridge as an additional means of notification but the primary smoke detection and notification must be though the Ademco Vista system.

Insteon is not rated for such duty. It should not be used as any part of a primary notification system. Nothing wrong with using the Smoke Bridge as an additional means of notification but the primary smoke detection and notification must be though the Ademco Vista system.

I guess that's because of the possibility of false alarms? There would be no dependency on Insteon for what equals the current operation nor would the current operation be handicapped if Insteon failed. The fire alarms would still sound and the one sensor which is monitored would dispatch. I'm just looking for a way to turn the unmonitored hard wired alarms into monitored alarms. My thinking is they should manufacture a hardwired sensor that signals the controller just as a wireless sensor would do but there must be a reason why they don't.

Thanks,

Jon

Thanks for the additional information. When I installed my security system long ago monitored versus unmonitored device referred to how the security panel interfaced with the device, not whether a device was not connected to the security system. It makes more sense know that I understand unmonitored refers to devices the security system is not aware of at all.

I did not realize wired smoke detectors were no longer available.

Wired sensors (and I'm referring to power) are available but none that I'm aware of will transmit as some wireless sensors do. I wanted to keep the hard wire so the battery would merely be backup but all in all it's looking easier to just swap 'em out with wireless transmitters :roll:

Jon

Wired sensors (and I'm referring to power) are available but none that I'm aware of will transmit as some wireless sensors do. I wanted to keep the hard wire so the battery would merely be backup but all in all it's looking easier to just swap 'em out with wireless transmitters :roll:

Jon

There is nothing stopping you from doing what you're asking. As I have my system wired in the exact same fashion you have indicated.

I have my original KIDD smoke / co detector wired via a relay system to the security alarm system. Which is monitored by the alarm company for smoke, fire, co, etc.

This device is in the basement in my home. In the hallway I had another hardwired 120 VAC KIDD smoke / co unit. I simply replaced that hallway unit with a First Alert Onelink smoke sensor.

This hardwired Onelink sensor is connected wireless to all of the other smoke / co units in my home. From there, it is linked to the Insteon smoke bridge to my network.

Works just fine and allows you to have all of the above with out compromise. The only thing I needed to follow up and confirm is if I link the smoke bridge to the smoke / co talking combination sensors is if it will actually register and send a low battery alert to the smoke bridge.

As the hardwired 120 VAC Onelink sensors do not speak or indicate zones etc. So, I am going to test if the ones that do speak and can tell the user the battery is low etc will change the low battery node in the smoke bridge.

I hope to complete this test by the end of the month.

Teken . . .

I have my original KIDD smoke / co detector wired via a relay system to the security alarm system.

Teken . . .

How'd you rig up this relay system.

Thanks,

Jon

Hello Jon,

The first thing you need to do is confirm if this method of connection is allowed in your city, county, etc. I live in Canada and this sort of configuration and hook up is allowed to ensure smoke, heat, co detectors can be monitored.

Look up via Google two / four wire hook up for smoke alarms.

Teken . . .

Look up via Google two / four wire hook up for smoke alarms.

Teken . . .

I see.. the relay is hardwired to one of the controller's fire zone inputs. Hmm.. I'll have to check on that.

Thanks,

Jon

I have my original KIDD smoke / co detector wired via a relay system to the security alarm system. Which is monitored by the alarm company for smoke, fire, co, etc.

Teken . . .

Though I haven't been able to speak with a Fire Marshal, the information I've been able to gather suggests the auxiliary alarm relays manufactured for 120v 2/4 wire systems are not rated for or advised to be used with security systems. Lots of problems seem to occur outside of the fact this type of installation violates the NEC/NFPA and will void any warranties on equipment. They seem to be manufactured to trigger auxiliary warning devices as sirens and lights only.

There appears to be no way to legitimately connect a 120v unmonitored smoke detector system to the security panel.

Jon

Teken . . .

Though I haven't been able to speak with a Fire Marshal, the information I've been able to gather suggests the auxiliary alarm relays manufactured for 120v 2/4 wire systems are not rated for or advised to be used with security systems. Lots of problems seem to occur outside of the fact this type of installation violates the NEC/NFPA and will void any warranties on equipment. They seem to be manufactured to trigger auxiliary warning devices as sirens and lights only.

There appears to be no way to legitimately connect a 120v unmonitored smoke detector system to the security panel.

Jon

Hello Jon,

As I indicated in my previous post above. Here in Canada this is the method we use to interface a hardwired smoke / co device to an alarm system panel. This has been used and deployed around Canada for more than 30 years and millions of homes are wired this way.

The NEC may have a specific reason for not allowing it. But, rest assured it works, and if properly installed will protect the occupants from a fire / smoke condition. I hope you're able to find a solution to your current problem.

I just wanted to offer you some insight and perhaps a solution to your needs.

Teken . . .

I just wanted to offer you some insight and perhaps a solution to your needs.

Teken . . .

Thanks... I knew nothing when I started looking into this. I still don't understand why manufacturers don't make a 120v smoke that will transmit to the panel. That would make the entire operation easy.

Jon

Archived