Variable creation and control

Smile4yourself

I am considering the purchase of an isy99 and read the manual quickly, but did not see the ability to create a variable like "Armed" and then program an IF /THEN ELSE sequence...

Can this be done? I would like to tell the system if i am home or not, and gave programs to make rooms act differentl if i am there or not.

Maybe later add the Elk alarm system, but it seems like more than I need.

Can a mini remote control the value of the variable "Armed"

Thanks for your responses!

Sure. A button on a KeypadLinc positioned at the main door, a RemoteLinc Mini (RemoteLinc2) button can trigger a Program to set a Variable. Button On can set the Variable to 1 for example to indicate Away, turning the button Off sets the Variable to 0 to indicate Home. Program(s) can be established to do different things based on whether the Variable is 1 or 0.

Yes, it can be done.

Yes, a mini remote can be programmed to change the value. Or you can use an insteon switch or keypad button. Or you could use a cell phone. Wth android, tasker, and mobilinc, you could eve set up a system where it would arm/disarm automatically based on cell phone location.

Thanks for these resonses above folks. I'm happy that it is possible to control program decisions based on a variable that can be set via a mini remote. This means that one really does not need to purchase an Elk option and system to have some degree of security. I was thinking that if a motion detector sees movement when i am sleeping, (ARMED variable is set) a program could sound an alerm, blink all the lights fast, and send email alerts.

If this is feasable, do you have any advice on what need to consider and/or purchase?

This means that one really does not need to purchase an Elk option and system to have some degree of security.

Emphasis on "some".

I was thinking that if a motion detector sees movement when i am sleeping, (ARMED variable is set) a program could sound an alerm, blink all the lights fast, and send email alerts.

Yes, this can be done. "Blinking" lights is not an inherent insteon capability, but an ISY program can be set up to simulate this, to some degree.

do you have any advice on what need to consider and/or purchase?

Besides the obvious (ISY, mini remote, various insteon switches and modules), I consider two access points and a couple of filters to be near-universally required for any insteon setup beyond a couple of switches. The rest is wholly dependent on what you intend to control and how your house is wired.

Archived