ISY994i install error for Insteon LED bulb

I am trying to install 3 Insteon LED bulbs and i keep getting a error on the ISY994i...

The following device could not be added

21.EC.11

Cannot determine Insteon engine

21.F0.C7

21.EF.A4

I tried installing by linking but it only stays in link mode for 4 seconds... So I tried to manually add each device and I get the above errors.

What can I do to get these to connect? I am using a standard dimmer switch on the wall.

tia,

Ron

The LED bulb cannot be connected to a Dimmer. Like all but the 2-wire SwitchLinc Insteon 120v devices must receive full unswitched 120v.

Insteon Dimmers chop about 20% of the AC wave even at full On. I don't know what the "standard" dimmer is doing but very likely is not supplying a full 120v AC. Bypass the standard dimmer, providing unswitched 120v to the LED bulbs

The LED bulb cannot be connected to a Dimmer. Like all but the 2-wire SwitchLinc Insteon 120v devices must receive full unswitched 120v.

Insteon Dimmers chop about 20% of the AC wave even at full On. I don't know what the "standard" dimmer is doing but very likely is not supplying a full 120v AC. Bypass the standard dimmer, providing unswitched 120v to the LED bulbs

I just tried the same bulb in another room without a dimmer and it is getting the same error. :-(

So I tried another light in the same room and it worked. :-)

You may have some power line communications issues.

Do you have at least one dual band device on each phase of the home and used the four tap test to verify they are communicating?

Your PLM is not on a filtered surge strip or on an UPS?

You have three Insteon LED bulbs that do not respond to commands (that what that error message means) when connected to the dimmer.

You have a 4th Insteon LED bulb that works when connected to the dimmer where the other three do not?

The error message indicates the Insteon address did not respond to commands. I find it difficult to understand how a 120v Insteon device can work connected to a dimmer. Connect you TV to the dimmer and see what happens. Insteon devices are electronic devices that must have a full 120v AC.

You have three Insteon LED bulbs that do not respond to commands (that what that error message means) when connected to the dimmer.

You have a 4th Insteon LED bulb that works when connected to the dimmer where the other three do not?

The error message indicates the Insteon address did not respond to commands. I find it difficult to understand how a 120v Insteon device can work connected to a dimmer. Connect you TV to the dimmer and see what happens. Insteon devices are electronic devices that must have a full 120v AC.

No...

The bulbs all work when connected to the dimmer switch but the ISY994i gives the above errors when trying to manually add them.

I then took one of the LED bulbs and inserted it into a socket that was not dimmer controlled and it gave the same error... Then I took the same bulb and moved it to another non dimmer controlled socket and it worked. The one where it works with the ISY994i is our bathroom vanity light, so I installed all 3 there and they are discovered by the ISY. What is strange is that the ceiling lights in the bathroom are not dimmer controlled and work but not discoverable with the ISY. Since our MB lights are hooked up to a conventional dimmer switch I will replace that with a Insteon dimmer switch and just use regular LED bulbs there. I will just use the Insteon LED bulbs where we have non dimmer switches. I wish I had known this before I ordered 9 of them as it is cheaper to buy 2 Insteon switches and buy 9 LED bulbs. Not to mention these LED bulbs get hot where my regular LEDs do not.

Insteon LED bulbs should not be connected to any switch. That is like connecting a SwitchLinc to a standard switch. Why would you do that. The standard dimmer may have lowered the light level produced by the bulb but the electronics that are in all Insteon 120v devices cannot function without unswitched 120v AC. As soon as you turn the switch Off the Insteon address cannot be reached as power has been removed from the Insteon LED bulb electronics as well as the LED itself.

It sounds like you are looking at the Insteon LED bulb like other LED bulbs. Think about the Insteon LED bulb like a LampLinc with the bulb built into the LampLinc. The LampLinc is controlled by linking it to an Insteon Controller which turns the LampLinc On/Off and controls the Dim level. Exact same thing with the Insteon LED bulb. It has the similar electronics inside the bulb. The Insteon LED bulb has an Insteon address and responds to Insteon Controllers just like a LampLinc does. Remove power and the device cannot function as an Insteon device.

• 1 year later...

I had difficulty linking the Insteon 8w LED bulb to my Universal Device ISY994i controller plus Insteon 2413S PowerLinc Modem, until I temporarily plugged a lamp (with bulb) and the 2413S into the same dual power wall socket.  Once linked, I could unscrew the bulb and move it around our home.  The bulb remained linked.  (New user.  Took a couple of days of intermittent effort.)

The INSTEON LED bulb is not meant as a replacement for a standard LED bulb nor is it meant to be used on a switched circuit. The main purpose of the bulb is as a replacement for an unswitched bulb or in a location where the switch is inconvenient such as behind furniture or even a pull-chain light.

Archived