ECM 1240 Setup & Available Information

switches

I would like to get an ECM 1240 to be able to report occasional usage of key circuits such as a hot tub, sub-panel or electric heaters. I am not too concerned with real time information just understanding weekly or monthly usage is mostly what I am after.

My understanding is I should have

- an ECM 1240 from Brultech

- appropriate CTs (current transformers) from Brultech

- an ISY994i Z series or a ISY994i and purchase a Zigbee upgrade for $100

- the ISY Brultech electricity module ($50)

My questions are:

- Is that setup above correct? Is there any reason a ISY994i ZS is needed over a ISY994i Z?

- I can only see total kWh so I'd have to calculate weekly/monthly usage manually? (viewtopic.php?f=47&t=10663)

- I will be able to email the kWh per channel using notifications and Utility Meter Substitution variables that I assume become available after purchasing the Brultech electricity module? (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11588&p=88896&hilit=notifications#p88896)

- What energy information does Mobilinc display - will it show total usage or do you have to pay for that service?

- With the setup described above can the ISY push logs to a hosting service? If so, which ones are supported? (viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2982&p=50998&hilit=energy+logging#p50998)

- Does getting a GEM over a ECM 1240 get me much more than more channels (32 vs 7) and ability to work on 3 phase?

- Can someone post a screenshot of the UI for the Brultech Electricity module - I couldn't find one?

I tried to find as much of this information beforehand so hopefully someone will be able to quickly confirm and answer my remaining questions! Thanks so much!

Hi switches,

- an ECM 1240 from Brultech

- appropriate CTs (current transformers) from Brultech

- an ISY994i Z series or a ISY994i and purchase a Zigbee upgrade for $100

- the ISY Brultech electricity module ($50)

The Brultech module comes with both 994i Z and the Zigbee upgrade. You need this module IF AND ONLY IF you are not going to have Zigbee capabilities.

- Is that setup above correct? Is there any reason a ISY994i ZS is needed over a ISY994i Z?

ZS is only for communications with Smart Meters. Are you looking for Z or ZS?

- I can only see total kWh so I'd have to calculate weekly/monthly usage manually?

(viewtopic.php?f=47&t=10663)

Or, you can use an energy management portal such as MobiLinc. This said, you do get more than just kWh ... you get wattage (instantaneous) for all channels + voltage/current for the main two phases.

- I will be able to email the kWh per channel using notifications and Utility Meter Substitution variables that I assume become available after purchasing the Brultech electricity module? (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11588&p=88896&hilit=notifications#p88896)

I think you are completely confusing Z and ZS. They are 100% different. If you are going with ZS route, you MUST contact your utility to make sure they allow you to connect to the meter. If you are using Z, then you can use Brultech as described above. The two are NOT interoperable nor are they compatible. So, you have to choose Z vs. ZS.

- What energy information does Mobilinc display - will it show total usage or do you have to pay for that service?

I will have to leave this for MobiLinc. Perhaps contacting them directly would be more expeditious.

- With the setup described above can the ISY push logs to a hosting service? If so, which ones are supported? (viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2982&p=50998&hilit=energy+logging#p50998)

I can push information to a Portal server as long as you have one that works with ISY (Portal Integration Module).

- Does getting a GEM over a ECM 1240 get me much more than more channels (32 vs 7) and ability to work on 3 phase?

It also adds support for temp sensors but ISY currently does not support that.

- Can someone post a screenshot of the UI for the Brultech Electricity module - I couldn't find one?

There's no UI. They are nodes. Maybe this will help:

http://www.universal-devices.com/docs/p ... 0Guide.pdf .

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks so much for your reply - few remaining questions below. Thanks again!

I think you are completely confusing Z and ZS. They are 100% different. If you are going with ZS route, you MUST contact your utility to make sure they allow you to connect to the meter. If you are using Z, then you can use Brultech as described above. The two are NOT interoperable nor are they compatible. So, you have to choose Z vs. ZS.

Ah, I didn't catch that post I linked to was in regards to a smart meter not a Brultech :oops: . I want to connect to the Brultech so a Z is what I am looking for. However, I now realize there is no accruing information available from the Brultech meaning I'd have to use a logging service or some other software to determine a running total of kWh - is that correct?

I can push information to a Portal server as long as you have one that works with ISY (Portal Integration Module).

Could you point me to somewhere that I may be able to find what portal servers work with Portal Integration Module? I see previous posts that mention Check-It

There's no UI. They are nodes. Maybe this will help:

http://www.universal-devices.com/docs/p ... 0Guide.pdf .

Thanks - anything of the tab called electricity in the configuration section of ISY. Perhaps seeing that tab isn't very enlightening though?

It's not one of the screenshots shown here: http://www.universal-devices.com/commer ... -z-series/

Hi switches,

1. Yes, you need an energy monitoring device/service

2. The only one that I know is pretty active is MobiLinc. GreenNet and Check-it used to work but I do not think they are safe

3. The UI in the link is for the dashboard not the Admin Console

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks for your responses Michael & Teken!

I saw some of your other posts on this subject Teken including other forums. Is configuring the ISY to send data to smartenergygroup.com pretty straight forward?

Hello Switches,

The data is being pushed / sent from the ECM-1240 / GEM to the SEG site. The data is not being sent from the ISY automation controller. If you follow the configuration guide provided by Brultech it will get you up and running in about 60 minutes.

Any questions that pertain to the set up of the ECM-1240 / GEM please do post them up in the Brultech forum for assistance. Any related SEG issues please do post them up at the SEG and Sam will be more than happy to assist.

Should you have any further questions for me please do let me know.

Teken . . .

Archived