Fresh install Win 8 non-browser admin console

Harold

I have read and searched extensively but I simply am unable to understand what I need to do. Explanations I think fix it, devolve into terms I simply do not understand.

I have just done a clean Win 8 Pro install and I am trying to get the UD console to load. I would prefer to make the console independent of the browser if possible. It sounds like it is. I have a backup of my information using the admin console (I think that is what it is, main screen for actions and programming) I made when I installed the new ISY994 to replace my ISY99. Note to the developers. I am concerned about the blue light on the new ISY994. I live under the approach path to a naval airbase. I am concerned that the LED is bright enough to confuse pilots on a landing approach and have them show up in my office. This would be a bad thing. You might ask engineering to add a bit more current limiting for the LED. Previously my cable modem was the worst pain in the eye (the blue LEDs blink constantly), but the ISY blue LED is way more annoying even though it does not blink.

Is there a post that explains in terms an obsolete computer person can understand. I have downloaded the admin.jnlp file, but have not been able to understand how to install it. I have seen various sort of conflicting posts across a years time frame; but I just don't understand.

Hi Harold,

For Windows 8, you must be in Desktop mode to be able to do anything with Java. As such, here are my recommendations:

1. Make sure you have Java installed

2. Switch to Desktop mode

3. Go to http://isy.universal-devices.com/99i/admin.jnlp ... the browser will ask you what you would like to do with it, please choose Open. If you are using Chrome, you will see admin.jnlp downloaded to bottom left corner of your browser. Click on it

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks, but I have already tried that several times.

When I choose open, it asks me to find an application to use to do that.

It displays IE and 4 other completely unrelated applications. If I select browse from that window it takes me to essentially an explorer view of program files.

I have tried selecting Java.exe. It seems to be installing something, but when it is over I can see no way to start the interface to my ISY. Nothing appears in the menu. I see nothing displayed in the browser or desktop. I even went to the Metro start screen: nothing there.

I just recently restored my Firefox install and now have all my previous bookmarks available. I have the old one for the application and that still works to open the browser version. But I am trying to get the one to work that does not depend on the browser.

Hi Harold,

Please try javaws.exe .

I am just quite shocked that Java Web Start is not used by default.

If you go to Control Panel | Java | Security, is the "Enable Java content in browser" checkbox enabled?

If you are still having problems, please do not hesitate to submit a ticket (below) and we'll login to your computer and figure out what's going on.

With kind regards,

Michel

OK, that worked. I now have the application on the start menu.

The java/browser thing was set in the security tab. There are more under the advanced tab.

Under advanced, selected fields:

Default java for browsers: IE FF

JNLP/MIME: prompt

Application installation: Install if hinted (I have no idea what hinted means)

I am not sure why, but when it installed and I ran it from the menu, it showed what appears to be my existing programs. I am curious how those were found since I am doing a clean install. Maybe from the bookmark?

At this point the PC application knows the IP address of the ISY and recognizes my ID and password. But no status is shown for devices when I expand my lighting in main. It also will not change state when I manually toggle a device.

I am still looking at why this is true. I am going to import my backup file I took before doing the clean install and see if that makes things work.

Thanks. I have been looking at the firewall thing. I have gone to a new firewall (Bitdefender) and I am having a real problem figuring out how to do things. I switched to them because I really dislike Norton. It is confusing and arrogant. I never thought I would say this, but Bitdefender is even less intuitive and more poorly documented. I do what they tell me to do, but the next step and/or result simply does not relate to what the documentation seems to say. It may just be me. But when I was designing/supervising online user interaction software development, I simply would not have let their stuff go to production. Actually it would never have gone to alpha.

I am going to get off the internet and kill Bitdefender and see if I can get your application to work. It is a bit weird. If I am interpreting results from the UD screen, I seem to be getting information (memory use) from the ISY. But the admin console does not display device status and toggling a device from the console does not change anything.

I will let you know what happens.

Archived