Elk Lighting Rule

automateme

Might be the incorrect place to ask this, but I thought that I would try here first.

I now have my 99i communicating with my M1G, and my M1G installation mostly complete. I am new to the M1G and created a simple rule, that unfortunately does not work properly. All I wanted was for my Door motion sensor to turn on my Porch Light for a short while after dark. The Rule was:

Whenever Zone(Motion) is un-secure

AND It is dark

AND Porch Light is Off

THEN Turn on Porch Light for 5 minutes

The Porch Light correctly comes on when there is motion at the door after dark, but it never turns off. Any thoughts?

I think there is still problems witht he ISY/ELK integration as it relates to timed lighting events. I recall it was a problem on the Elk side but I am not 100% sure.

I got around this by using the virtual outputs. Any outputs that are not allocated to a physical output, can be used as a sort of on/off variable. Basically when I turn a light on, I also turn a virtual output on for the time I want. Then I have another rule that when the output turns off (after the time expires), this off transition tells the light to turn off.

AND It is dark

AND Porch Light is Off

THEN Turn on Porch Light

THEN turn output 208 on for 5 minutes

Whenever Output 208 State Is Turned Off

Then Turn off Porch Light

I used this for all my doors to the outside and it works well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

"I think there is still problems witht he ISY/ELK integration as it relates to timed lighting events. I recall it was a problem on the Elk side but I am not 100% sure."

Is this still an issue? Going to give mohansen's solution a try, but just wanted to check to see if it has been resolved.

I had this same problem and called Elk about it. They told me to do the same thing about turning an unused output on for the time period and then having a second rule that turns the light off when the timer on the output ends.

I don't know why it would be fixed since I had the discussion with Elk about 6 months ago and I don't think there are any new firmware upgrades.

• 2 weeks later...

AND It is dark

AND Porch Light is Off

THEN Turn on Porch Light for 5 minutes

The Porch Light correctly comes on when there is motion at the door after dark, but it never turns off. Any thoughts?

Sadly, I can confirm that issue still exists (intermittently) in the latest Elk firmware. The workaround is to use a virtual output as a timer, but that adds a lot of bulky kludge to the code. Since the Elk can remember to turn outputs off reliably, why can't it remember to turn off lights reliably? This issue has been present for years. :(

I cross-posted this back to the Elk forum to see if we can squeak enough to get a fix.

I downloaded the new elk firmware but have not yet installed. The firmware release notes specifically mention that problem and state that it was fixed. Now with WayneW saying it is a no fix, I am not so sure I want to go to the trouble of updating the firmware. UGGGGG.

The problem only happens with some of the lights as well. I don't get why it works to turn on then off my lights by the back door, but the front door lights only turn on. I am pretty sure that the presense/absence of an isy in the system is irrelevant as if memory serves me, I had the problem prior to installing my ISY.

Anyone else out there tried the new firmware? I would really like to hear comments before I take the chance on updating the firmware. They all has gone to a .net deal on the elk rp and would like to hear if it has any advantages over the current.

Anyone else out there tried the new firmware? I would really like to hear comments before I take the chance on updating the firmware. They all has gone to a .net deal on the elk rp and would like to hear if it has any advantages over the current.

I have upgraded to the new firmware, but continue to use the old Elk RP software as the new version does not yet support x64. It is not required to use the new software with the new firmware.

I downloaded the new elk firmware but have not yet installed. The firmware release notes specifically mention that problem and state that it was fixed.

Where did you see it documented that the "turn a light on for X minutes" issue was fixed? I didn't see anything in the latest Elk release notes. To clarify, I have updated my M1 control to 4.5.24, but not my XEP or ElkRP yet.

The closest doc I can find is in the 4.5.24 release notes: "13. Fixed a lighting command timing issue associated with the Universal Devices ISY controller." but I have no details on what that fix is.

In my casual observations, the problem happened vary rarely when using 4.5.20 firmware and a PLM (so rarely that I assumed it was an Insteon comm issue). Once I switched to the ISY-26, then problem seemed to happen much more often.

That is what seemed to me to be the timed lighting command that fails on the Elk. I don't know what other timed lighting event has a problem and I think I have written enough rules to find one if one existed.

About a year ago when I first discovered the problem, I spoke to Elk support and they knew about the problem and immediately directed me to the work-around.

I think a call or email to Elk would clear this up real quick. I will do that now but I think they are already closed.

I agree that I don't think the Elk ever sends the off command. I don't think the ISY has any part in this. As I mentioned before, I am pretty sure I had this problem pre ISY in my system.

The challenging thing is, however, that it is not universal to all rules. Prior to rewriting the rules to use the timed output trick, I had a rule that turned my back door lights on for 5 minutes when you opened the back door at night and a rule to do the same for the front door lights. The back door lights are almost 100% success and the front door lights were 100% failure (on the off command). All I can figure is it has something to do with Elk's internal addressing of the lights that has a bug at one address and not another.

Yesterday I received a beta firmware for the M1 from Brad and it seems to be working very well. I agree that the issue seems to be intermittent based upon rules/environment, but then consistently reproducible when it bites you, but Brad didn't give any details.

• 1 year later...

I have the opposite problem. My Elk gets status from this ISY but I can't change the status.

I'm trying to have a single (non-load) button on a keypadlinc turn the alarm on and off. That part works. But, for convenience, I'd also like to have the button itself turn on/off when the alarm is armed/disarmed from the elk keypad. This is the part I can't get to work.

I've set up the Elk/ISY integration per the instructions on the UDI wiki (though the pdf file reference on that page is not currently available). I have an M1XEP and it's working fine with ElkRP. I'm not sure if I've missed something (like the need for another Elk module to send Insteon commands - but from what I've read it seems that the elk should be able to communicate with the ISY through IP commands). Or, it's possible that the Elk can't turn the non-load buttons on the keypadlink on or off???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bcall

Secondary KeypadLinc buttons cannot be turned On/Off directly. The Secondary KPL button must be a responder in a Scene and turn the Scene On/Off.

:roll: my bad! It's been a while since I've changed the programming on my ISY. I already had the scene set up from the last time I tried something like this. Thanks for jogging my memory. :)

Archived