Pre Purchase Questions and Temperature Inputs

MaddBomber83

Hello;

I am looking to make the initial plunge into the ISY world and had a few quick questions.

First, I would like compatibility with the most devices, and this seems to be the right product. From reading around this PRO/IR unit with the PLM should be the right choice as it is not Zigbee and would be able to have the Z-Wave addon enabled.

My second question is related to getting a large amount of temperature data into the ISY for the lowest cost. The first project I will be undertaking is HVAC heavy and I would like to start off with a bunch of temperature inputs (around 12 temperatures assuming I use the WeatherBug for outside information).

From the reading around on the forum, it seems that a RaspberryPI with a one wire control will be the preferred way to go about this. Anyone have links to guides that would detail things a bit more than the mentioned thread?

Start reading here:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?p=88540#p88540

It's not much more than you have already seen.

io_guy has written code that allows the RPi to gather the sensor data and relay it to the ISY. I believe arw01 is working on an implementation of that now. I am watching their progress and may move my sensors off of my CAI Webcontrol and onto my RPi down the road.

-Xathros

CAI webcontrol is well suited to this. It uses 1-wire and can handle 8 temp sensors on one unit. The CAI has a built-in function for posting to ISY variables. It also has one humidity input, 8 ttl outputs, 8 digital inputs, and 3 analog inputs. ISY can also post directly to CAI variables or directly turn its outputs on/off.

Archived