Defective Plm?

I assume my Plm is kaput after a thunderstorm through the night. The isy has the power and Rx lights on solid, and the diagnostics for the Plm failed. I can still turns

lights on and off from the Kpl, but i noticed the garden fountain wasn't on this morning, and the console came up with an error. Is there any form of protection you can put

the isy and Plm on for this type of incident? These 2 are about the only items of an value left unprotected because of noise issues.

Thanks

Brad

Hello bmiller,

I made sure that my PLM/ISY combination located near the service were protected by a surge suppressor because I was concerned about failure such as you describe.

A surge protection device only (MOV only without an EMI filter) is totally acceptable and preferred.

The problem comes in when trying to purchase a surge protector that does not include an EMI filter. Sometimes they state that an EMI filter is included on the package or specs and sometime they do not.

I detailed a possible test to help a person know here:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?p=67911#p67911

I found a 360electrical 4 outlet rotating surge protector. It has what they are calling advanced x3 MOV surge protection. Nowhere does it mention emi filters are in it.

Has anyone had any luck with this device? I.d like to use it on my ISY/PLM outlet.

Thanks

Brad

New plm and all appears ok at this point. I think I will get an intermatic whole home surge protector. The information indicates it works fine with home automation. Easy enough to install.

This the response I got from 360electrical regarding their 4 outlet surge protector.

I'm going to get another.

Thank you for your interest in our product. The 4-Outlet Surge Protector that you have purchased does not have EMI Filters. Starting in September of this year a new 4-outlet will be on the market and it will have those filters but the current one does not. Hopefully that helps. If we can be of any further assistance please let us know.

Brad

Archived