3 way switch wiring help

Grayson

Hi,

I've successfully installed several single 2477D dimmer switches and am now trying to install my first 3-way switch and I'm having problems.

I followed the instructions in 2477D manual and have Box 1, 2, & 3 wired up. When I turn on the power the LED's light up on all 3 switches, but only switch/box 3 controls the light.

I am not sure how to proceed since there could be a large number of wire combinations to try. Is there a methodical way to figuring out how to correctly wire this, perhaps using my voltage meter? I assume the problem is no, or not enough, power/current is flowing from box 3 to box 2 & 1, but maybe it is something else.

please help....

Thanks,

John

Given that you posted this in a UDI forum, I assume you have one of the ISY controllers.

The fact that only one switch controls the load suggests to me not a wiring problem, but that you have created no "scenes". Is this correct?

All insteon devices communicate with each other via powerline or RF signals. In order to enable one (or more) insteon devices to control another, one must link them via scenes. In the ISY admin panel, create a new scene, and add each device (as controller) that you want to be in your three-, four-, or X-way circuit. Once added, any switch in that scene will control all the other switches in that scene.

You may want to check out the UDI wiki, and ISY user manual before going too much further.

Glad you figured it out.

One more point that is not always obvious....user manuals that come with individual insteon devices are mostly written based upon the assumption that there is no central controller. While I believe you should continue to read them (much applies regardless), make sure you use the ISY to create all scenes, rather than the method described in the manual.

• 2 weeks later...

What happens if the ISY is not present for any reason?

It may be disconnected from the network, or wall wart unpugged.

Does the 3way control still work?

Does it matter how the 3way links are created, be it via a scene in the

ISY or manually creating the links with the light switches?