program a two speed timer?

jcthorne

I have several ceiling fans on 1000w dimmers. The normal on sets them at 45%. A double tap on will set them to 100%. We occaisionally turn a fan up to high and forget it. OK, not so infrequent around our house.

What I would like to do is add a program that will watch for a fan set to 100% and then set it back to 45% after a length of time, say 15 minutes.

Can some kind soul tell me how to program this? I have tried several ways but I am not a programmer and have not made it work yet.

Thanks!

jcthorne,

This:

If
       Control 'Bedroom Fan' is switched Fast On

Then
       Wait  15 minutes 
       Set 'Bedroom Fan' 45%

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

should do what you want. It can be re-triggered; double tapping the switch again will restart the timer. Hope this meets your needs.

THe fan can be switched on from several locations. Is this supposed to run correctly even if the fan is remotely switched to high speed?

Thanks so much for the assistance.

jcthorne,

My pleasure. Just add an additional Control line in the If clause, for each additional INSTEON switch that controls the fan. Make sure all the Control lines are Or lines, not AND lines. Doing a FAST ON from any of the switches, will trigger/re-trigger the timer.

THe fan can be switched on from several locations. Is this supposed to run correctly even if the fan is remotely switched to high speed?

Thanks so much for the assistance.

jcthorne,

My pleasure. Just add an additional Control line in the If clause, for each additional INSTEON switch that controls the fan. Make sure all the Control lines are Or lines, not AND lines. Doing a FAST ON from any of the switches, will trigger/re-trigger the timer.

AHHH! thanks I'll give that a try!

How do you have the "fans" run from seperate locationswith Insteon? Give an overveiw of the way these switchs are set-up please.

aLf

The fans are each controlled with a 1000w dimmer. The dimmer can be controlled from any programmed location. In our case, a controlinc on each nightstand for the bedroom fan. A remote button on the home theater remote for the fans in the living room or from a keypadlinc in the hall. Very basic insteon scene setup. Just was not sure how to implement this bit of timer logic.

The simplest way to handle this is to use the current status of the bedroom fan as your condition. In this example, if the fan ever exceeds 45% then it will be reset to 45% 15 minutes later (regardless of what switch or other control was used to set it above 45% in the first place).

I would also suggest you set this program to 'Run at Restart' when you upgrade to 2.6.5 or higher (do not use the current 'Run at Reboot' for this).

If
       Status  'Bedroom Fan' > 45%

Then
       Wait  15 minutes
       Set 'Bedroom Fan' 45%

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Chris, I cannot seem to get this to work. The program never seems to execute. It just remains idle no matter what is done with the controllers or the local load.

If I set the fan controller to 100% using the ISY, then the programs runs. Or if I set the controller to 100% locally and then manually command the ISY to query the controller it then runs. Do I need to have the ISY poll the controller regularly to make this work or is there some link to the ISY that needs to be set?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sounds like the ISY is not seeing status changes initiated from the switch. You can try a restore device on the switch, or if it's not a member of many scenes, simply try removing and re-adding the device to the ISY.

Does the ISY see the status change when any of the controllers adjusts the fan? Or not at all? Were all devices linked with the ISY?

As MikeB and Sub-Routine have suggested, it looks like the link to your fan was not created using the ISY.

The simplest way to see if the ISY is receiving status changes is to open the new Event Viewer. As events occur, they appear in the viewer. What you would be looking for in this case is ST, indicating a status change.