Dimmer switch broken?

flazar

I have added a Dualband SwitchLink Dimmer socket (2477D), and am experiencing really odd issues.

When I do not plug anything into it, I am able to send it a turn on / turn off signal from the 994i and the socket indicates that it's on or off.

However, as soon as I attach a load to it (any load) the state in the 994i console keeps switching between on/off constantly. There doesn't appear to be any change on the actual outlet itself.

Attempting to send a on/off command to another dimmer switch starts failing at that point too, and it looks like if the entire system has failed.

Is this a symptom of a defective dimmer socket, something else entirely?

Not sure what device is being discussed. The 2477D is an in wall Dimmer, no outlet. If a 2477D is connected to an outlet that would be in violation of code as a Dimmer should never power an outlet. Also Insteon Dimmers can have issues when connected to non dimmable loads (reference to "any load").

Please clarify what device is being discussed, what it is connected to and the type of load.

The described behavior could be a defective device, incorrectly installed (wiring), or powering the wrong type of load.

I own a dimmable receptacle (2472DWH), in addition to a dimmable switch. The dimmable receptacle is attached to one load (dimmable lamp), while the wall switch is attached to a different load (Dimmable pot lights)

Until I preformed a reset, trying to turn on the dimmable receptacle with a load attached through the ISY 994i failed, and also took down the dimmable switch. If I tried to send a command to the dimmable switch after the dimmable receptacle failed, it would not respond anymore. Basically everything was dead until the I took the load out of the receptacle. This only happened when a load was connected to the receptacle, not when there wasn't one.

After the reset, the receptacle has been responding correctly with a load attached. However, I now find that I'm not able to set the dimming interval to 0.1 seconds. Rather, it's always turning on/off in ~2/3 seconds. I'm also not able to add it to the ISY automatically after I put it in link mode. Instead, I can do so only when I manually enter it's address.

Is there something else I can do, or do I need to replace the receptacle?

I would not yet assume faulty outlet.

As a troubleshooting step, I would plug the PLM directly into the outlet (unswitched side). Use an extension cord, if needed. Does this solve the problems? If so, this tends to suggest communication issues between the outlet and ISY.

Archived