[Fixed] Unable to link I/O Link

Ok, so it is fixed now....

Long story short, I have too much stuff plugged into my Computer Room. While none of it communicates over the power lines, it apparently produced enough noise to retard communication.

Moving the ISY/PLM and I/O Link into our living room resolved the issue and everything links up now.

I picked up a Garage Door Kit that includes the 2450 I/O Link.

I got everything wired up and it opens and closes the door just fine with the set button.

I went to link it (Start Linking, Hold Set Button for 3 seconds / beeps, and hit Finish); and the ISY could not find it.

I then tried adding it as an Insteon Device with the address, and again it can not find the Insteon Engine.

I moved the IO Link into the same room as the PLM / ISY and tried to link again, and could not.

With it plugged into the outlet, every min or so it gives a long beep.

I redid all of this after unplugging the ISY and PLM, same results.

I redid all of this after doing a reset on the I/O Link, same results.

Any suggestions?

Mon 10/07/2013 07:28:22 PM : Start Insteon Device Linking Mode

Mon 10/07/2013 07:28:50 PM : Stop Insteon Device Linking Mode, Final processing to follow

Mon 10/07/2013 07:28:50 PM : [VAR  2    1 ]       -1

Mon 10/07/2013 07:28:50 PM : ---- Start: Generate Scenes from links ----

Mon 10/07/2013 07:28:50 PM : ---- End: Generate Scenes from links ----

Mon 10/07/2013 07:28:50 PM : [All         ] Writing 0 bytes to devices

Mon 10/07/2013 07:28:50 PM : [All         ] Writing 0 bytes to devices

It sounds like you are just getting started with Insteon. What devices are being used to couple the 120v legs and has the4 4 tap Set button test been run to insure they are in RF range of each other and on opposite 120v legs.

It sounds like you are just getting started with Insteon. What devices are being used to couple the 120v legs and has the4 4 tap Set button test been run to insure they are in RF range of each other and on opposite 120v legs.

LeeG, thank you for jumping in. So far with the ISY i've been doing temperature probes and an insteon thermostat. This I/O Link will be the first additional device that I am adding.

After it did not link the first time, I moved the I/O Link into the same room as my Modem. This room is all controlled from the same breaker at my panel. I also tried plugging it into a different outlet in a different room that is also on the same 110 line.

Originally, it was plugged into an outlet that was on the other 110 line.

It sounds like I may have a misconception here. My understanding was the PLM is a dual band device. The I/O Link is Power Line Only and the Thermostat is RF only. In this way, the Thermostat and the PLM can be anywhere and if in range should be able to communicate. The I/O Link must be on the same Power Line as the PLM.

So, a resolution before I return the unit may be to pick up 2 Dual Band devices and place them on alternate lines / link them. If the I/O Linc is still not connecting then it is defective. Maybe?

Ok, so it is fixed now....

Long story short, I have too much stuff plugged into my Computer Room. While none of it communicates over the power lines, it apparently produced enough noise to retard communication.

Moving the ISY/PLM and I/O Link into our living room resolved the issue and everything links up now.

If this is the initial step in a larger Insteon install a pair of Access Points is essential as both 120v legs will eventually have Insteon devices installed. It also sounds like a FilterLinc is needed in the room where the ISY/PLM was initially installed to isolate the devices that are causing interference on the powerline.

I appreciate the suggestion. When we add our next device I'll be sure to pick them up.

Is there any point to the phase bridge that SmartHome sells? I would imagine that with the two access points it wouldn't be needed.

The hardwired bridge is passive in nature. It takes the message at whatever signal level arrives at the power panel and couples it to the other 120v leg at the same level. This can be at a lower signal level than maximum. The Access Point repeats the message on the other 120v leg at full signal level. Also the Access Points serve as additional RF points for wireless devices. I much prefer Access Points for coupling.

Archived