Android Geofencing possible with AutoLocation and Tasker

abuttino

I know that there has been some talk about the lack of Android support but I figured I would jump in here and let people at least know about this product.

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with the developer or he doesn't give me any support for pushing his product.

That being said.....

There is a lot to be said about Tasker, some people love it, some people hate it. For those who would like to have a better understanding, here you go:

In AutoLocation, you specify your geofences. As many as you want. Also remember to turn in the Geofence monitor

In Tasker, you create a new profile and pick "State" and "plugin" and find "AutoLocation Geofence", press the pencil then specify one of your Geofences in the picker that appears when you press the top menu item.

After you've specified your Geofence, you need to tell it "Inside" or "Outside". Meaning the task will for when you are inside the Geofence or outside.

Press the back button and you'll be prompted for a task name to match your profile. Enter that and you'll be at a blank screen with a plus sign in the middle of the bottom area on the screen. Once you press the plus sign, you'll then press "Plugin" and then find Mobilinc and press on that.

At this time, you press the pencil icon on top of the screen for plugin configuration and then tell Mobilinc what you want it to do when you enter your Geofence.

Once completed, press the back button two times and you'll be brought back to the profile you just created.

Long press on the task name to the right of the green arrow, then you can add an exit task to happen once you do exit your Geofence with the instructions I gave in the previous two paragraphs. Simple as that!

Just press on "New Task" to start with the exit task.

I use these ALL THE TIME. with extremely high accuracy.

Before you write off Tasker because it's complicated to use, please ask as many questions as you'd like, I'll try to answer them all to the best of my ability. Hell, if you have a complicated one, you can even call me if needed.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 4

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I realize this is a very old post, but I may have a need for both these programs and would like to know if they will do what I want...Do you still use these programs?  Do you still feel the same way after using them for over a year?

I posted this message elsewhere on this site looking for solutions:

I would like for the ISY to recognize that my son is home by verifying if his phone is connected to the house's WiFi.  Is this possible?

Here is the problem...

I have a TStat in his room activated by a MS.  Every time there is motion, the TStat goes up to 70 and after 1 hour it goes down to 60.  This works great night and day.  The MS is close enough to catch him turn in his bed while sleeping.  When he's gone, which is most of the time, the TStat is set to 60.

Here is the problem.  When someone walks by his room if the door is open or if the wife drops off some clean clothes on his bed, the MS gets triggered and the TStat ups the temp for no reason.  I like the idea of the Wifi connection because that is really the only time I want heat in his room.

Thanks

I use tasker for this, yes. Tasker has very powerful profiles and you can use gps, connection to wifi, connection to cell towers, among other things, to determine location.

Tasker has actions, also. Mobilinc has a plug in for tasker which allows a tasker action to initiate insteon scenes, devices, or programs.

Each tasker profile can be setup with entry and exit action. In essence, when a profile becomes true (connected to wifi, for example), perform an action. Then, when disconnected, perform another action. I susepct it would be a trivial exercise to create an isy program to turn up the thermostat, and one tk turn it down. The tasker actions would simply initiate the programs via mobilinc.

Trivial....Sounds like something for me...I like the idea of WiFi as opposed to gps or any other battery robbing setting on my phone.  I leave WiFi enabled on my phone all the time as the draw on the battery is negligible.  Do both Mobilinc and Tasker have good documentation?  I can make most things work, granted I have the documentation and time...

Can't wait to get some free time and the right docs for these two apps...

Thanks

Sorry. I did not i tend to make the entire setup sound trivial...only the specific part regarding the ISY program. It is that part that most, I suspect, will find relatively simple.

Quite the contrary...I found a definite learning curve with tasker. It took me abit of trial and error to become capable of even simple tasks.

And, yes, tasker has pretty good documentation, but there was a definite learning period for me. Mobilinc was pretty intuitive, and I found minimal need for manuals. I should disclose, however, that I really don't use the mobilinc interface much. I rely near exclusively on mobilinc and tasker widgets on my home screen to control my house from phone and tablets.

Archived